1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

instrument cable/bass cable

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JacoLesFlea, Oct 19, 2006.

1. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

Jun 16, 2006
    Minnesota
    Same thing? or do I specifically need a bass cable?

2. jamfree

jamfree

Nov 10, 2005
    Absolutely need a "bass" cable. Never allow it to be plugged into a guitar or the cable will kill you.

3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    lol....its the same thing. Monster Cable just advertises a "bass" cable as a way to sell more to that specific market....

4. monster cable is the best cable to really get the bass sound through, sure you could use a guitar cable, but then you would lose everything under 100Hz, cables branded "instrument cables" lack balls.

kidding. Any cable will be just fine.

5. The Dave

The Dave

Jun 23, 2006
    Canyon, Texas
    I have a Monster Bass cable and my bass sounds the same to me when I use a regular instrument cable.

6. my brother had a monster bass cable, they use oversized jacks so when you first put em in it feels nice and tight, but it recently broke and his jack was stretched so normal cables didnt fit properly, he had to get a new input jack.

7. Espidog

Espidog

May 19, 2006
    UK
    Regardless of which brand name(s) might be fashionable, if you want really good, reliable cables, go to a decent electronics supplier, buy the highest quality flex and jacks you can afford, teach yourself some basic soldering and make your own. You'll save a ton of money.

8. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    I agree.

If you're really bored, you can also read this as there are a few good points made in there. But you'll have to dig for them.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280892

9. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    It must be late. I actually fell for this as I read it. I was getting geared up for the argument when I saw the word kidding.

10. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte

True. Several equipment manufacturers even specify *not* to use Monster cables with their gear.

11. 6pack Jon

6pack Jon

Jul 6, 2006
    Queens, NY
    I just got a Bayou Cable yesterday. Pretty nice.

12. ahkiatt

ahkiatt

Sep 30, 2006
    Singapore
    is it normal that i have to change my cables (say every year or so) cos i have to "massage" my cables in order for em to work...

13. ahkiatt

ahkiatt

Sep 30, 2006
    Singapore
    oh yeah i'm using some ****ty peavey cable.

14. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    If you don't take care of your cables, the solder joints will break and the shielding will be separated. As long as you are careful to pull the cable out by the jack and wrap them properly when you put them up, they'll last forever. I have a couple of thirty-year-old guitar cables that work fine.

Just don't buy REALLY cheap cables, because the quality of construction (up to a point) matters, with better cables having more robust hardware, better strain relief, and more consistent soldering.

On the subject of M*****r and other brands, it's 99% smoke and 1% careful construction. The local music store carries the brand (it's a high mark-up item) and the manager there tried to tell me what a difference it made in the sound. I told him that I own a M*****r cable, and it sounds exactly like every other cable I own, and that if it DIDN'T, then the human race had a very faulty understanding of the basic principals of physics.

I have a couple of cables that have directional arrows on them, too. As though the signal field knows which direction it's traveling down a conductor...anyhow, I thought perhaps that the arrow might indicate a floating (or, "telescoped") shield, which is one that is attached at one end but not the other. This is used sometimes in unbalanced gear that suffers from hum. So I checked with my multi-meter. Nope, everything was attached just like in a conventional cable. So then the question becomes, how much did I pay extra for those damned arrows?

15. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte

I use Bayou Cables too. Nice, and well constructed for a good price-- what more do you want in a cable?:D

16. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    I've had good luck with the Fender cables and the cheapie Proco cables.

17. svenbass

svenbass

Dec 12, 2002
    Boston
    Ruined the jack on my nice Warwick .... F them.

And while I'm complaining, what happened to the $10.00 cable? Most stores only carry the high end stuff, and why spend fifty bucks on something you'll inevitably lose, break, or have stolen. There is absolutely no sound improvement whatsoever with a Monster or other 'hi-fi' cable. Folks who claim to hear a difference have overactive imaginations. :D

I'm not surprised, seeing as they ruin your gear and all.

18. gingerbeer

gingerbeer

Jan 9, 2005
    mogami + neutrick or switchcraft +silver soldering = best cable / no frills .

19. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte

Yeah, that's essentially what Bayou cables does for the less DIY inclined.;)

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021