Instrument Cable for rig for a few days.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jazzin', Apr 14, 2005.

1. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I'm most likely getting my rig tomorrow by UPS. But I don't have any cables besides my RoadHog Instrument cables. Is it safe to use one over the weekend until I get a speakon or something?
  2. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    you have to use a "speaker cable" that's specifically made to go btwn the head/amp and cabinet.

dont use the instrument cable!
  3. Jazzin'

ok, thanx, I guess I just got to wait until I buy a speaker cable. :bawl:
  4. Nobody told me that til about a week after i got some speaker cable, guess i had a lucky year :p
  5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

You always hear about the 100 year old guy who claimed he smoked and drank most of his life. But that doesn't mean smoking and drinking aren't dangerous! :p
  6. this is true, but i was like the guy who started this thread, both have the same connections, whats the difference

but i was enlightened :p
  7. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    I use only speaker cables for my amps, but I'm not sure why, other than I heard that that is what you're supposed to do. It's kind of like in math class when my teacher told me that if you divide by zero then the world will blow up. "OK, no questions asked" says the 8yo.

What are the technicals details behind using instrument cables for instruments and speaker cables for amps etc.?

What is likely to happen if you don't?
  8. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    I suppose they are refrering to the power and sheer amount of energy being passed down the cable compared to a standard instrument cable.

You think you have 400watts going down a Head -> Cab, then you consider the mV you have coming from your pickups, there is a considerable difference.

Its the same with wiring a house with electrics. Certain ciruits need to be wired in bigger CSA cable compared to others due to the current being drawn.
  9. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Speaker cables just have 2 leads side by side. Instrument cable have coaxial core wires and shield wires, so they really are built very differently. I'm not sure what the exact physics is, but my understanding is that running too much current through an instrument cable does wierd things to the impedence the amp sees, and you can potentially fry an output device.
  10. Jazzin'

Well I just got my amp (Ashdown Mag300H), it only has two 1/4" output jacks. So tonight, I'm going to go buy a 5foot 1/4" speaker cable (16guage). I wont test my stuff until then.
  11. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Was kicked around just recently. Here 'ya go....
  12. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Thanks. Good thread.