1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Instrument Cable

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG] - NEW!' started by Greg Waldon, May 24, 2018.

1. Greg Waldon

Greg Waldon

Aug 22, 2017
    Mississippi
    None
    I am looking to buy a couple of instrument cables. I haven't bought one in years. What is a good budget brand for playing around the house or impromptu jam session. I saw some on Musicians Friend that were Rapco (I think) brand that had good ratings and cheap price. I just don't know what is decent anymore. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. cattrax

cattrax

Oct 17, 2010
    SW Florida
  3. Greg Waldon

Greg Waldon

Aug 22, 2017
    Mississippi
    None
    Thanks. I will check them out now.

4. Ya know - and I report this with a queasy stomach as my hero has given his all to evaluate some pretty nice cables up there (^) in the STICKY AREA.

.... but I have to confess that I bought a few GFS cables and I am impressed by their ruggedness and reliability. In 7+ years so far of coiling-uncoiling-stomping on- twisting until I couldn't stand it any more and generally abusing them all to H E double hockeysticks - they just plain ol' work well.

So far no failures and I mean that nothing bad has caused me to have to repair or replace them.

The cloth covering is T O U G H and then some. There are no frayed spots - although one of the black ones looks like it's growing some very short fur after a long long time of abuse.

They look good too.

I say they are good - and that's without any technical reviews about capacitance, induction and tray gamma ray shielding.

Gamma ray ratings might not be high however.

(I'm reaching here for a punchline - got nothin')

5. These are also available through Sweetwater. Great people to deal with. I picked up a couple of these a few months ago. No problems so far. Guess I'll have to revive this thread in a couple of years to let you know the long run of them. I have never worried about expensive cables. Can't really see any advantage to them.

6. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
  7. farace

farace

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    I'm quite impressed with the Planet Waves "American Stage" series of cables. They're not the cheapest out there, but they're far from boutique priced. Sturdy as hell with good flexibility. (They have a video comparing how many pounds of tension are required to tear the cable out of the plugs compared to other brands.)

One thing I will admonish anyone to stay away from are the cheap Reverb cables. I never had cable noise issues before getting a couple of those. I won't even bring them as a back-up now. They fall into that unfortunate area of "not good enough to use, but too good to throw away."

G-Z and Greg Waldon like this.
  8. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    35143000_10156418113894911_3623441071846981632_n.

9. Greg Waldon

Greg Waldon

Aug 22, 2017
    Mississippi
    None
    Settled on Rapco from Musicians Friend. Got a 10’ and a 15’ for less than $20. Had good reviews and were priced good so I decided to take a chance. Don’t think I can go wrong. Will update after I use them.