Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Instrument cables

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by emor, Sep 12, 2004.

1. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    In an effort to slowly upgrade every aspect of my gear, I decided to replace my 20 year old :eek: instrument cable. The last time I purchased a cord, there were two choices: straight or coiled. :D Now I find that one can pay anything from $8 to $80 for one. So...what's the deal?

(note: I tried a search for cables and cords , and came up with a gazillion hits, so if someone could just please direct me to a the link to a previous discussion, I would appreciate it.)

2. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    d'addario with signalbreaker is great. €40 but i like it a lot.

edit: planet waves, same thing. i meant that.

3. FaBu-

FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    Finland
    I like Planet Waves!

4. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Monster all the way.

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I've got a planet waves 15ft one that I really like. I used to advise against them due to people complaining that the compression rings would lock the cord INSIDE the jacks and you had to break them to get them out, but I tried one, and I'm hooked. Plus, the compression rings on mine just are not strong enough to do what these people were complaining about, so...*shrug*

6. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    Thanks for the product recommendations.

I am kind of curious about what makes one cord better (x10?) than the next. I'm sure this has already been discussed ad nauseam, which is why I thought someone might be able to direct me to an appropriate thread.

7. Better quality materials and construction, and thicker gauge usually warrant the higher cost. I'm happy with a gold-tipped jack (around 1$ a foot usually). I have one from Ki-Sound and another from Road Hog. Both are guaranteed for life, no questions asked. Before I had the Ki-Sound I had some other gold-tipped one and the soldering inside broke. Brought it in and had it replaced for free. It's really useful to have a few and know that if one breaks, the other will do fine and you can get it replaced the next day.

8. http://procablesnsound.com/store.asp

A close friend of mine owns this company and even advertises here at TB........check out their site, they will make any cable to your liking!

[​IMG]
    Treena

9. I've used both Planet Waves and Monster. Both are good, however I prefer the Planet Waves. The Monster cables are very stiff, but the Planet Waves are much more flexible. The locking plug of the PW only gives me a problem on my BTB which has it's own locking jack. Put the PW cable with the BTB's locking jack and it takes some effort to remove the plug. It is removable though, just make sure you're patient. A hasty yank on the cord won't work. On other basses, the PW plug never has given me any grief.

10. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    :D Try this thread . . .
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109162&highlight=tara+labs+cable+challenge

IMO, if your 20 year old cable still works, there is probably no reason to replace it. Take it to the store with you and A/B it w/ an $80 cable and some others and buy the one that sounds best to you.

11. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    my pedalboard uses Fender Electrovolt cables. I just got a pair of 18' Electrovolts to go from my pedalboard to the wireless(or the bass) as well. I'll see how that works out.

12. I have nothing but bad experience with "hi-end" cables.

I bought armored cable a while ago, and I don't remember what happened to it since I got it so long ago, but basically it started crackling, and stopped working and it sucks.

I then got fender pro-tone cable. The tips bend out of place every so often, but this can be fixed by bending them back. Too bad the damn thing started crackling when disturbed, and sometimes it won't work at all.

I like my ****tyass music+arts cable, as it's lasted me years without trouble. Hi-end cables blow. I think they might have sounded better, but it could have been my imagination.

13. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    20 + years ago. I tried every price range cable and they all had a limtied lifespan. I ended up buying good belden cable, heavy duty jacks and soldering myself.

I just don't have problems with cables anymore. I use a Monster bass cable that's about 20' long and a repalcement which I tested once and put back in the package.

For good measure I loop one end of the cable on my bridge end of the strap to prevent strain and the other I loop on a handle on my flight case.

You don't see curly cables around much anymore. This is too bad becuase when I was a kid I was in awe of Danny Patridge's white curly patch cord.

14. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    20 years!! I replace my chords about once every few months. I like the Monster Bass Chords. They sound best and you can replace them for free for any reason as often as you'd like.

15. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I love my livewire speaker and instrument cables.

16. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Buy middle of the road.

If you pay way too much for a cable, you'll be really upset when it goes bad, and why would you want to spend that much money on a cable you can't abuse?

If you buy super-cheap, you get what you pay for. Not worth the aggravation.

Monster cables are what I use. Haven't had a problem with mine yet.

17. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut

I REALLY abuse the monster cables and they hold up well.

18. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.

+1 Monster cables are great. Plus they have a lifetime warranty. But if you get 20 years a cable that's probably not a concern to you.

19. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Just buy a decent cable (e.g. Klotz) and decent plugs (e.g. Neutriks), solder them together and you'll have the best cable you'll ever need. Make a spare for onstage emergencies, and of course you can always give yourself a lifetime guarantee... ;)