Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

instrument cables

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by cronus, Apr 11, 2003.

1. cronus

cronus Guest

Jan 17, 2002
    Romulus, Michigan
    i dont about other people, but in since 2002 ive gone through 3 different cords. do you guys usually go through them pretty often, one of them was really cheap and shouldnt count. and the 2nd one just caught a short. and i just spent $42 on a new one, hopefully this one lasts, i usually take good care of them, roll them up nice after im done dont leave them outside or anything. am i just buying ****ty cords?

2. I am having the same problem. I spent good money on a cable that has the giand plug ends (don't remember what they are called, but the ends are like industrial strength and big) and it has gone out twice on me. It has a lifetime warranty so I'll take it back in to get it fixed. Maybe i should just buy cheap black rubber cables and go through those??

jtbp

3. leftundone

leftundone

Mar 14, 2003
    Chicago, IL
  4. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Monstercable is THE solution. They are very tough and the signal is very clean. Monstercable has no-questions-asked lifetime warranty on their cables-no receipt needed. You just bring teh cable back to the store you bought it at if its not working and tehy have to hand you a new one. I believe Monstercable makes retailers comply with this if they want to sell their cables. The music store told me they will even replace it due to physical damage (cut cords, smashed ends, etc). a 12 ft. cable is about $20 most places. I've never had one go out on me, and everyone I know that has tem swears by them. :)

5. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I love my Monster instrument cable. I think it's the only one I'll ever need.

FWIW, I have a cheapy cable too and that one doesn't fit too well in the jack of my bass and will crackle if I move it. The monster fits securely, sounds great, and will be replaced with a lifetime warranty. Spend the extra money and get one :D

6. i recommend planet waves. they too have a lifetime guarantee but aren't as stiff and awkward as monster cables.

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i used to use planet waves but they aren't good in some jacks (like warwicks) because the compression spring causes shorting out and stuff.

now my planet waves cables are going from my omni studio to my studiophile monitors :) and sound great. for my basses i use monsters because i have a friend that can get them for 40% of list. (not 40% OFF, 40% of! :D )

8. I went through about 3 cables in the first few months of playing bass, but since then I've got a couple of Monster Cables and they've lasted ever since.

9. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I have Whirlwind cables, and they are really nice. Clean signal, solid connection, and they are pretty strong as well. like $20 for a 20" cable.

10. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    My vote is for Planet Wave cables, but I've never had the opportunity to use Monster cables...still, the PW cables are top notch in my experience, and my whole rig is tricked out witht them.

11. Bryan_G

Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    I have had the same thing happen to me. It seems as though they work at first but then they "wear" out your jack. I don't like them.

-cp

12. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I wouldn't recommend Whirlwind. Not very good customer service :(

13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I have two thatch cables and one Planet wave cable...the thatch ones are 20 ft the planet waves is 15.

The planet waves has the cleanest signal, and is certainly heavy duty.

a friend of mine uses monster cables, and his cables always seem flimsy next to my planet waves.

but that's not to rag on Monster cables..they are excellent cables. I just like my planet waves more. :D

14. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

I'd go with that! I've only recently bought my first planet waves cable! It's really good - I think I'll get another soon.

Up until now, the best cable I've used it KLOTZ (I think that's how it's spelled...). Although, these are a more light weight cable, and maybe not as robust as planet waves!

15. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have three or four $10 Rapco cables that I have owned 15 years.

If you actually bother to grasp the metal part of the plug when you remove them and roll them in loose loops (12" or so) they last forever.

Chas

16. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Amen to that. I don't see spending $40 or thereabouts for an instrument cable. It's just a damn cable! Give me something good quality and well made. Saying a cable sounds great is like enjoying some wine and saying the glass bottle it came in tastes great.

17. Last time I broke one, it was because the drummer stood on it and bust the connection inside the jack.

I own a couple of nice cables (Planet Waves, I've never seen Monster ones in the shops over here) for when I'm gigging or recording, but when I'm just rehersing, I'll use a couple cheaper ones, in case something happens, like the drummer..... and that's where we came in.

18. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    I have been playing bass for 2 years and a few months and I'm still using my original cables.

19. I've had my planet waves cable for almost three years now, and no problems whatsoever. Mind you, most of my stuff rarely leaves the house. I think it was $20 for 20 feet.

I have monster cable running from my stereo to my Bose speakers; 25ft X 2 sides = $50. I guess good cable is a dollar per foot.

Mike