1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Instrument choice - technique vs. possibilities

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Jeff Moote, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    This is a very different take on the "How many strings?" issue, so please don't dismiss it as such. :)

Currently I play a fretted and fretless 5, and I'm happy with that. I like 5's because they are very comfortable while adding some range and position possibilities that I use very often.

Looking (towards months from now) at my next bass purchace, I'm considdering number of strings. I don't want another 5, because I need one of the two choices that I'm down to more.

I'm making a decision between 4 and 7.

7 is attractive because I'd greatly appreciate the extended range - my playing suits it well. As for whether it's managable for my hands, I'm sure it is, and I'll be able to adapt to it.

4 is attractive because I know I could really fly on one. I know playing it would seem really easy after 5's all the time, and I could really focus on perfecting my technique. Range is the problem, but in a regular band setting I know 4's can hold out just fine.

My dilemma is whether I want to have the freedom to play with greater mobility and and clean technique, or whether I want to let the music that becomes possible on 7 win out and force myself to better my technique enough for that.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
    -Jeff

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would get a 4. I think every bassist should own at least one 4, because they are the basic amount of strings for a bass and you can really "fly" on them.

3. I don't think having a greater number of notes to play with will allow you much greater freedom to explore. You can attempt any chord progression or rythmic approach with a four - the real "meat" of musical exploration lies in what you can do with 12 notes.

That's equally true of a seven and a four, so get whatever you want. Just don't let the extra range distract you from what's important about what you play - of all the musical choices you make, range is one of the least interesting and explorative. If you want to explore, listen.

I would stick with the four and concentrate on exploring what you have.

4. I can only speak from my experience, but I tried out one of the Conklin 7 strings for one rehearsal and church service and was not crazy about it (I could have gotten it pretty cheap too). At the time I was already playing a 5 string and then later I bought a Victor Bailey Jazz Bass (4 string). Now I go between 4 and 5 strings depending on the range of the songs in the set and what kind of mood I am in.

My primary role in the band is to play the low notes, lock in and groove with the drummer, and bridge the rhythm and harmony together. I found 4 and 5 strings allowed me to accomplish this best, for me anyways.

John

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I just wanted to add a little anecdote relating to the title, I am currently learning some piano, and I consistantly find myself trying to wiggle my fingers after hitting a chord(or notes sometimes), as if that would give it vibrato :p

6. CDuff

CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Europe
    Hahaha, I do that too:D A pianist friend of mine kept laughing at me because of it.

7. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    WR: yeah... I think all string players do that when just starting on piano.

Keep the replies coming folks, I'm taking this all in.

8. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I dunno man,, but probably a nice 4 for me. I'm happy with my current stable of 6 and 5,, but the 7's are just too spindly feeling for me. The high F string needs very light touch IME, and the harmonics seemed real weak. I'f you're a tapping meunster,, maybe it would work great,, but for fingerstyle and slap,, a good 'ol 4 would suit me better at least.