1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Instrument Insurance (Canada)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Smallmouth_Bass, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Do any of you have any experience with getting insurance for your instruments and equipment in Canada? I play the occasional show, so I guess I am considered a professional although I do not make a living at it.

I just received a quote from my home and auto insurance company and the rate is 4% of the value that you are covering (full coverage, no deductible). For example, that would cost me $400 for $10,000 coverage; $1200 for $30,000, etc...
    More than I am likely to get paid for the occasional gigs that I do.

Help would be very much appreciated!

2. Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I haven't checked lately but I thought that once you earned $ playing you were no longer covered by home insurance. Might want to check the fine print. I'm a member of my local union and keep meaning to check into their coverage.

3. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Yes, I believe that's the case and pretty much what I confirmed in getting the quote. The problem is they do not differentiate from a hobby/amateur musician to that of a full time professional musician. Playing a few gigs in a local bars a year should not be considered the same as a touring/studio musician. There has to be an insurance company with reasonable rates under those circumstances.