1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Instrument insurance during travel?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Tom Lane, Jul 11, 2016.

  1. Tom Lane

    Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

    Last time I bought insurance for my bass, I noticed that my provider excluded coverage during air travel, so if my bass were lost or damaged by the airline, I wasn't covered. I didn't buy the coverage. Talking with my home owner's insurance agent, I found that they would cover musical instruments if they were lost by the airline, but not damaged, so I got that coverage. Is there anything better? An insurance agency that will cover a bass in a far off land in case of loss or damage, air travel or what-have-you. And if so, was the cost reasonable?
  2. Don Kasper

    Don Kasper Supporting Member

    This is what I've had for over 20 years, though I've never had to file a claim.
    "...ensure your equipment and instruments are repaired or replaced if damaged or stolen anywhere in the world."

    News Hub | About Us | Contact Us | Quote
    MAI \ Personal \ Products \ Musical Equipment

    Musical equipment insurance

    From professional performers and music teachers to those who simply own an instrument, the Marsh Advantage Insurance team can arrange insurance products to cover your musical equipment and instruments.

    We have cover options available for your:

    • Cello
    • Double Bass
    • Guitar
    • Keyboard
    • Trumpet
    • Saxophone
    • Flute
    • Clarinet
    • PA System
    • Drum
    • Bassoon, and more
    Marsh Advantage Insurance can arrange cover which aims to ensure your equipment and instruments are repaired or replaced if damaged or stolen anywhere in the world. For an additional premium, we can also arrange cover for your legal liability* as a musician if you cause injury to other people or damage to their property.

    Contact the Marsh Advantage Insurance musical equipment team for more information or get a quote.

    * Liability cover excludes Canada and USA

    get%20a%20quote%20button1. contact%20us3.

    For more information, contact our musical equipment insurance team.
    1300 760 171
    Email us

    This page contains general information, does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs. For full details of the terms, conditions and limitations of the covers, refer to the specific policy wordings and/or Product Disclosure Statements available from Marsh Advantage Insurance on request. Marsh Advantage Insurance Pty Ltd (ABN 31 081 358 303, AFSL 238369) arranges the insurance and is not the insurer.

    Copyright 2016 Marsh Advantage Insurance Pty Ltd. All rights reserved. | Legal Notices | Terms Of Use
  3. Tom Lane

    Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

    Thanks Don! Knew I could count on you! Is the coverage expensive do you think? Sounds perfect!
  4. Don Kasper

    Don Kasper Supporting Member

    I pay about $275 per year for about $21K coverage. (I should have more items covered, but, as you know, I'm CHEAP!)
    The important difference here is that the instruments are NOT kept in your home (homeowner's policy would cover this), but they understand that these valuable tools will be taken out into the real world.
    There may be other companies out there - let's hope others chime in...(in tune, of course.)
  5. Tom Lane

    Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

    Sounds very reasonable. Cheap... is there another word that might suit your, er, "thriftiness", "frugalness", "penny-pinching, rosin-melting, clenched assness" more appropriately? Somehow, I'm at a loss for an appropriate adjective... ;)
  6. Don Kasper

    Don Kasper Supporting Member

    I've always been fond of "Tightwad".
  7. Tom Lane

    Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

    Yeah, "tightwad" is the right word, except, I think it might warrant a "royal" preceding it. As in "royal tightwad". I met a guy here at the camp who's filming a documentary about the camp; every time I speak with him we engage in this kind of wordplay. He's VERY good at it and I have run to keep my head above water.... See what I mean?
  8. Don Kasper

    Don Kasper Supporting Member

    Yes! I have also earned the "Royal...." designation - i.e., "you, Sir, are a Royal PITA"!
    Tom Lane likes this.
  9. Tom Lane

    Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

    Yes, I've HEARD that... like an endless refrain... ;) Thanks again for your help, your royal tightwaddedness.
    Don Kasper likes this.
  10. isolated

    isolated Zenji Supporting Member

    Dec 7, 2004
    Bronx, NY
    I have coverage through Clarion, and the annual premium is comparable (about 1.5% of the total insured value of all my poopie.) They insure musical instruments/equipment exclusively, so you don't gots to 'splain what's being covered.

    I hope never to have to file a claim, but word on the street is it's pretty no-hassle if you do.
    Chris Fitzgerald and Don Kasper like this.

Share This Page