Instrument Insurance -- Protect your GAS!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassanomaly13, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Yes, I'm fully covered.

2. No separate policy. I'm fine with my home coverage.

3. Nope. Never even considered it.

4. (Obligatory carrot option)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. bassanomaly13

bassanomaly13 Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2019
    How many people insure their musical instruments?

I was looking over my home insurance policy a few years back because it provides coverage for personal property. So I had some coverage for my basses & guitars if there were ever an incident that would affect them. But as I looked closer, I realized my home insurance deductible would apply to any loss. So if a bass was damaged/destroyed as a result of a claim, I wouldn't get enough money to fully replace it.

So I took out a separate, deductible-free Personal Articles Policy for a few items that would need replacing... MacBooks, the wife's engagement ring, and all of my basses/guitars.

It's pretty inexpensive, considering the fact that I could replace any of those items with zero deductible, if they were destroyed, stolen...etc. Granted, if I was a regular gigging musician, the cost would be a little higher. But all in all, a pretty good investment, I think.

Curious if anyone else does this?

Nuage420 likes this.
  2. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    I use to carry a marine/floaters policy. It covered the gear
    for touring but got very expensive so I dropped it.

3. gwangi

gwangi

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    Does anybody recommend a good company to insure musical instruments?

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Columbia SC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I use Clarion, coverage for $25,000 costs me a little over $400 a year. I know some folks use MusicPro. I'd be careful trying to use a homeowner's policy to cover musical instruments unless they never, ever leave the house.

5. Jmilitsc

Jmilitsc Gold Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2013
    Fairfield County, CT
    agreed and I also use clarion

years ago a top-off crack repair on my double bass had to be done and clarion covered the claim totally hassle free, luthier supplied photos and a letter about the repair and easy peasy. My coverage remained the same they didn’t even ding me for using the policy. It only went up a couple years ago when I added more stuff to the policy.

highly recommend and I don’t think any home policy would’ve helped in that situation.

6. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    I have some experience with this, unfortunately. Half my house was torched to the ground, but all my music stuff was on the opposite end, so just heavy smoke damage (both basses were carried out, one on my way out the window). SKB and Pedaltrain hard cases were closed, so most everything just took serious cleaning, and even some stuff still isn't there 7ish years later, but those are now backups. Just had homeowners insurance, but the assessor was surprisingly competent and thorough. If it hadn't been for my pedal hoard being mostly saved I would've taken a huge loss. The assessor managed to look up obscure pedals and actually put a value on them that I was happy with, like I could've bought them back for the most part. If I hadn't hit the upper limit. Were it not for being fine using just cosmetically off gear I would've been set back a chunk of change. Still sucked. Still a net lost, but could've been worse. Kinda changed my take on things: If I am not willing to have it burn to the ground I don't want to own it. Kind of a nice perspective change.