Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Instrument or Speaker cable?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by berklee46, Sep 20, 2001.

1. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Sorry if this seems like a dump question, but I've always used the XLR out from my amp, but now I've only got a 1/4" out.
    I have a direct box, but I'm wondering if I use a short instrument cable between the Amp and the DI Box, or a short speaker cable?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I'm not sure what you mean:

if you mean the line out, you can use an instrument cable to connect it to the DI box.

DON'T CONNECT YOUR SPEAKER OUT TO A DI BOX!
    IT'S FOR SPEAKERS ONLY.

3. natebass

natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    You would want to use a short instrument cable between the amp and the direct box. The reason that you would use an instrument cable is because the signal which is coming from your bass is still vulnerable to electro-magnetic interference. The only time that you would use a speaker cable for anything would be for driving speakers - speaker cables are NOT shielded for RF interference, they use a different design which allows more signal to proceed unimpeded.

Hope this helped...

4. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Thanks. I appreciate the info. I did mean connecting the DI Box to the DI out on the amp, not connecting it to my speakers outs. :)

I just wasn't sure which cable was more appropriate for this use. I know now...