1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Instrument sales

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tgriley62, Nov 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    USA
    Guitar is hard. Electric guitar is even harder, in terms of finger pain. Fender also hasn't done anything new since dinosaurs roamed the earth, but that's not why sales are failing.

Guitar has this sort of "prestige" where everyone wants to be a guitar player, but then they either realize that it's too difficult or they realize they're rather hear other people play guitar, so they abandon it for their Playstation, Xbox or Nintendo.

Guitar Hero was phenomenally popular for a while, yet Rocksmith was really only popular with musicians...they might seem the same, but the Guitar Hero controller is just four buttons.

2. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    It goes in cycles-
    I know when I taught if there was a lot of guitar on the radio I had more students--if not so much the new students declined.
    Some dropped quickly--but most lasted for a year or more.
    Some who stopped kept playing, but on their own--they had learned enough I guess--and there is such a self taught vibe to many bass & guitar players--which rubs off on people.

but it goes in cycles

3. Quote from the article;
    "The $6 billion U.S. retail market for musical instruments has been stagnant for five years"

Darn, what a shame. How are they ever going to make rent?

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Actually, 6 billion divided by hundreds of manufacturers, hundreds of big box stores, hundreds of mom and pop stores, and all the employees therein isn't all that much money. I bet there aren't too many in the MI business getting rich.

hrodbert696 likes this.
  5. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    You mean other than John Hall?

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Couldn't read the article, got bombarded with I don't even know what... but from what I'm imagining it's about....

And without getting political...

Just wait till all those jobs start coming back to the US and guitar prices go through the roof :).

hrodbert696 likes this.
  7. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Obviously, those of us who do play need to buy at least a dozen guitars each this year to keep the industry afloat.

JGbassman likes this.
  8. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Ha! There are a few rare exceptions. But I bet there aren't many in the MI biz that are in the top 1,000 wealthiest people... probably none.

9. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah, the only downside of "bringing jobs back" would (in theory) be a rise in inflation. Politics aside, that would be the same for either "side". It is something to keep an eye on, and if it comes to fruition, there are some commodities I will be gathering.

10. Says who? Don't give 'em too much credit. It's not rocket surgery. As for finger pain, it's really not that bad if the guitar has a reasonable setup. About my only challenging guitar is my acoustic archtop, which has slightly higher action than my electrics and .013 gauge strings.

No argument here. The problem is that it's a 2 way street. I'm sure Fender and Gibson would love to push the envelope, but the consumers are too traditional. You'll see the occasional radical designs offered and they usually flop.

11. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    USA
    Hey, don't tell that to me! I know already. Tell that to the thousands and thousands that quit because they say it's too hard and it hurts their fingers :roflmao:

12. The world if full of wimps.

el_Bajo_Verde likes this.
  13. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Waaambulance. 2474203254_09522e7f77.

el_Bajo_Verde likes this.