Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Instrument stores and Black Sabbath

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by IAMERICCOCHRANE, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Why is it that everytime I go into a music store, there is a kid playing Black Sabbath riffs on the guitar or bass with crappy tone at really high volumes? It happens at every single store I goto. Here in maui I went to probably the only instrument shop on the island hoping to get some bass playing in but no, some kid was hogging the tiny bass section riffing out some Black sabbath as loud as he could with extremely crappy tone. I wanted to make his head spin but he was on it for like an hour just playing Black Sabbath riffs one after another after another. I kinda feel sorry for the guys who work in that shop for having to deal with millions of black sabbath riffs everyday. Whats so damn good about Black Sabbath riffs that every single teen starting out on a guitar has to play? Its just boggles my mind!~!!

2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Tomorrow they will probably have to put up with little sammy playing stairway to heaven, or johnny trying to play a slap solo. They get used to it. That or your just cursed :D

3. ironmaidenisgod

ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    As a 'kid' myself,who plays Black Sabbath continuously,it is a good way to get one started on bass.Geezer is a legend but his basslines are surprisingly easy.(Read-Paranoid).

4. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Better Sabbath than what is out there today, I won't mention any names.

But I think it's cool to hear kids of today listening to Black Sabbath.

5. Most kids do due to Geezers simplicity, but still, there are other riffs for christsakes! well, atleast kids aren't playing Burning with the devil over and over and over.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Black Sabbath = Easy + Cool + Recognizable

Didn't you know? You are suppose to stop what you are doing, look at them with amazment and say, "WOW, IRON MAN?! YOU ARE COOL!"

7. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    I swear..I worked at MARS back when they first opened in ATL. I would literally wake up in the middle of the night with Sabbath or Metallica riff's going through my head..it was torture..You hear them 50 times a day and its like some subconcious thing..

8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I worked at music stores for 9 years. I've heard it all. Black Sabbath, Metallica, and Ozzy riffs are played more than any other bands - I learned to hate these bands pretty quickly. After being out of it for close to a year I feel I am finally gaining back some of the appreciation I had lost.

The irrefutable law of music stores is this: Those who can't play, play loudly. It's true.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

My favorite was some kid, amp cranked, playing 96 quite bitter beings by CKY at about half time, drifting the tempo.

I must be awesome, I rarely plug in and when I do it's very quiet.

10. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Ahh...one of the joys of working in a store that sells mostly acoustics!

11. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I can't hear any basslines in the stores - there are far too many Mulletheads thrashing away, attempting to play "Eruption" at top volume. :rollno:

12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

It all about the influences in your style of playing.

13. i saw mulletheads, and i thought you may be from pittsburgh! ;) i know they're everywhere. the one good thing about going bald and shaving my head... i'll never make that mistake. haha

p.s. stairway to heaven is the one that stands out to me when i go into the music store that i frequent.

14. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    It's Sabbath riffs coming from the guitar section, and clunky, tempo-less renditions of "Higher Ground" coming from the bass section (usually with brittle-high or sea of mud amp settings.) Though once in a while there's a nice and welcome surprise: once I wandered into the acoustic room and there was a Turkish fellow playing some awesome flamenco and classical stuff on a classical guitar.

15. And lets not forget dropped D tuning, if I pick up one more instrument (guitar or bass) that is tuned to dropped freekin D; I swear I am going to snap !!!!

16. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

+1

17. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I as a kid of 15 years of age find it embarsing to walk into a guitar store and have the rest of the store look at me and I know they are saying "Stupid wanker kid going to play some easy a$$ song"

It hurts

18. From all the stores i visted in Ontario i never heard much Sabbath.
    Metallica on the other hand...:p
    Kinda funny story with that too...

A few years ago i was in Toronto at a music store...and i was waiting to try out basses...there were about 3 lads ahead of me...First one took his turn and started playing the intro to 'My Friend Of Misery'...no big deal...well when the other 2 kids ahead of me got their turn...they played the same intro to the same song.
    Couldnt they have found something else at that moment?
    Each one there must have heard the previous one play the exact thing?

19. On a similar note, on the night I bought my Fender the music store was completely empty. Shop owner was blasting Sabbath. What a great night that was!

You get some good players sometimes. One guitarist at Archambault in downtown Montreal was playing Children of Bodom and Maiden, but was also jamming some blues stuff. It was pretty cool. Bassists who try stuff around here usually pull crazy slapping stuff and otherwise shred uncontrollably. Too bad.

20. Just as long as you don't play Sabbath, blink 182 or metallica riffs (well, atleast not the easy ones) you will be fine. And turn that amp down please.