Instrumental Guitar/Bass/Drum Albums/Bands

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by kiwlm, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Yeah, I have searched, and most instrumentals actually consist of more than 3 instruments, and some are Sax/Bass/Drum.

3 of us are thinking of doing covers *first*, so what trio songs that you know of? If its a song that can be played by a trio, name it also, not necessary the group must be a trio.

All types of genre will be accepted. :hyper:
  2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Type jazz standards into google and start practicing.
  3. Just because the piece is written for sax/bass/drums doesn't necissarily mean that the lead instrument must be a sax. If you can transpose the part, it might sound really cool with a guitar lead. Most jazz standards are just basic ideas based around certain chord changes with solo sections. Just play around with some stuff.
  4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Power by Marcus Miller is a good instrumental
  5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Guitar-Bass-Drums & instrumental?

Robben Ford-Vinnie Colaiutu-Jimmy Haslip
    They sometimes come across like Cream on Human Growth Hormone.

Alan Holdsworth-Jimmy Johnson-Chad Wackerman
    ...good luck playing that stuff!

There's also the Steve Morse Band-
    Morse with Jerry Peek/Dave Larue & Rod Morgenstein

Some of the Jaco Live In NYC discs are trio-oriented(Jaco-Dennard-Stern/Bullock).

A hip sax-drums-bass group is Spaceways, Inc
    They can be both noizy & accessible...they do covers like P-Funk & James Brown.
  6. OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Find a well-versed saxophonist in a jazz piece and transpose what they play. They seem to be the kings of one-liners and should help anyone with their solo ability regardless of instrument.
  7. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Thought of another example-
    Andy Summers' The Last Dance Of Mr. X.
    It's a trio...they do Jazz Classics in their own way.
    Pretty cool disc.
  8. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    I have always wanted to cover Kaiowas, by Sepultura. Bad ass, tribal like instrumental. Good percussion is a must.

Also, one of my favorite instrumentals is La Mer, but Nine Inch Nails, but I don't have to balls to cover NIN.
  9. Wow, thanks for introducing me to jazz standards! Too much information, but I guess we will start with something and try it out in our band.
  10. I have google-ed for Jazz Standards, and downloaded a couple of those songs via LimeWire, but are there free downloads of the musical scores? Or is there any books that you guys recommend for learning the jazz standards?
  11. It's pretty far from jazz, but i think the band Shadowy Men From a Shadowy Planet is a trio. They do surf-rock type stuff and are pretty catchy. They may be best known for their musical contributions to the sketch comedy show Kids in the Hall, as their music was used for the theme song and as bumper music. It's all instrumental.
  12. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
  13. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Chuck Sher has The Standards Real Book.
    ...make sure you get the "C" Version. ;)

I don't have it, though the Sher stuff I do own is top-notch.
  14. will16

Aug 30, 2003
    Hey how about albatross by fleetwood mac? guitar bass and drums - very easy but sounds beautiful
    I have an instrumental music addiction (I also play in an instrumental three piece :bassist:)
  15. albtross seemed to be a very slow song! With some boring drum and bass lines, if I listened to the correct version! :meh:

Good intro to Shadowy Men, we might consider the theme song! :cool:

Just for an update, we will start with covering the following songs that were covered by Jaco in NYC Vol2
    1. Wipe Out
    2. Cissy Strut
    3. Dear Prudence

Guess we will start with the originals first, since there's too much (or too fast) to play in Jaco's version! Even my guitarist complained that he might not be able to play the Jaco's version. So we will pretty much improvise. But its a good starting point though... :hyper:
  16. Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003
    Although not always exclusively instrumental, have you listened to this great band called, 'The Slip'? I believe they are Bostonians, and man, what a span of genres they cover! On some songs, they sound like Soulive or John Scofield in a small-group setting, then the next song sounds like a Dave Matthews Band B-side. I've only recently got into them, but I think if you have an open mind, you should check them out. Their discs are worth getting for their instrumental stuff, at least.
  17. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    ...NO ONE has mentioned Primus? They do some instrumentals, and the lyrics in some are often so sparse that there can be a change to instrumental and only a primus fan in the audience would notice.
  18. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...or Gov't Mule?
  19. will16

Aug 30, 2003
    or explosions in the sky
  20. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    or Medeski, Martin, and Wood