1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Instrumental Musical Pieces

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by cassanova, Apr 11, 2009.

1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I need some ideas on instrumentals that only have a guitar bass and drums. I'm trying to avoid jazz pieces as the other two do not really care for that genre.

There is a benefit coming up for the college I go to and we were kind of thrust into having to play a few songs at it, the guitarist and drummer have settled on "Catfish Blues" and "Voodoo Child" These two songs have vocals but we have no vocalist, so I really don't think doing these two songs is that great of an idea, so I'm trying to find other songs that would better suit a drum, guitar, bass trio. BTW, since none of us want to do this thing, we are looking for the simple without it being overly simple. We just dont want to put much time into it.

2. Since they want to do some Hendrix, do Third Stone From the Sun or his instrumental version of Born Under a Bad Sign

3. In a Gadda Da Vidda, 18 minutes, done!

4. CRONOS

CRONOS

Jun 30, 2008
    Orion. call of Kutula.

5. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I'd actually do that one but its too heavy thus my professor would have my ass.

6. kingbee

kingbee

Apr 18, 2006
    What about some Stevie Ray Vaughan stuff? There's also Mickey Baker or Danny Gatton.

7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    The version of voodoo child they wanna do is the SRV cover of it. But I will definitely look more into him and see what I can find for instrumental stuff he does.

8. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    look into some 50's-60's surf rock, maybe?

9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Thanks for the input folks. I gave them a cd a few days ago of various instrumentals and unfortunately, its going to be "Catfish Blues" and SRV's version of "Voodoo Child."

I am sooo not lookin forward to this.

10. Beyer160

Beyer160

Dec 20, 2008
    NC
    +1!

The Ventures rule!

11. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    If you can add a keyboard, all the Booker T and the MG's catalog is pure gold. Pure gold I tell you. The structure and format is also really easy to pick up and you can improvise a whole lot. You sure need to have a good drummer though. Al Jackson Jr. sure was a beast.

The "Very Best" compilation Atlantic released a few years ago, apart from having the ugliest cover artwork of any record I've ever seen (Duck is rocking a burgundy velvet suit and looks like a fat Archie), it's also one of the best bang for the buck CD I've ever bought.

12. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Any 12 bar blues...Just let it rip.

13. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    King Crimson Red

14. makanudo

makanudo

Dec 26, 2008
    The call of ktulu S&M version is a masterpiece, recomended 100%

15. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City

ftw!

16. "Are Forever" By Majority Rule

-Pretty guitar-centric, but one of my favorite insturmentals ever. Haha, i even use one of the riffs as a soundcheck riff from time to time.

"God is in Heaven, All is Right With the World" By CurlUpAndDie

-A longer insturmental and pretty ambient at first... but a reeeeeeally groovy bass line kicks in about halfway through.

"Afganistam" By Botch

-Not a total insturmental, but awesome bass-line in a 'mostly' insturmental song.

Then, of course, you have all those insturmental bands like: Explosions in the Sky, Godspeed You Black Emperor, This Will Destroy You, Russian Circles... etc etc...

17. Ditto!

If your guitarist has some mad skillz look into "Miserlou" by Dick Dale. It has some trumpet and some keys, but your guitarist can play the former and you can get away with not playing the latter. If your drummer has the skillz, have a go at "Wipeout!" Also look into "Pipeline" by the Chantays or "Mr. Moto" by the Belairs. If you want something nasty try "Rumble" or "Jack the Ripper" by Link Wray. If you want something sweet and lovely go with "Sleepwalk" by Santo and Johnny.

Good luck, and have some fun!