Instrumentalists who sing and really shouldn't

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Oct 6, 2002.

1. So I just got the excellent Gradually Going Tornado by Bill Bruford, and what's the first thing I hear when I put it on?

Jeff Berlin singing.

Now, whatever's been said here about JB, he's definitely an excellent bass guitarist, with a strong sense of groove and melody. His big, meaty J tone on the Bruford albums is fabulous, too. However, that pseudo-New Wave voice of his, singing lyrics of exceeding insipidity, makes me want to shoot myself in the head.

Ironically enough, Bruford's former bandmate Allan Holdsworth suffers from the same problem: great guitarist, godawful singer.

What other prominent instrumentalists do TBers think should never have opened their mouths to sing?
  2. TM Stevens.

I picked up his Out of control album for £5, and listened to it completely only once - great sideman, terrible singer/frontman/songwriter.

Jools Holland.

great pianist, awful singer.
  3. Oh, poop, I just remembered: Joe Satriani and Steve Vai. At least Satch was trying to do the Hendrix/SRV blues-shredder thing--I'm not sure what the hell was up with Vai's vocals.
  4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Frank Zappa said:

"Many people are serious about expressing themselves. Whether they're successful or not is beside the point"

I also do some singing, mostly in choruses where I'm not the solo voice, but I'd like to think I'll be able to sing and play convincingly one day. The only way to achieve that goal is by doing it and if I never achieve the goal, it won't be because I did not try. A lot of the fun of achieving something lies in the process, not in the result.
  5. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Robben Ford and Eric Johnson have serviceable voices, but it'd be better if they left the singing to professionals.

I don't really like Lenny Kravitz's voice either. Great multi-instrumentalist, but his voice is the weak link.
  6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    John Paul Jones. A man of immense talent, but to hear him singing about ice fishing at night and something about it being time to spawn soon is absolutely surreal.
  7. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    I've said it before but Geddy Lee's voice is one of the barriers to my more complete enjoyment of Rush's music. Great bassist and a local boy (grew up more or less in my neighbourhood) to boot, but not the greatest voice to my ear at least.
  8. A lot of the time i really wish James Hetfield wouldn't sing any of Metallicas older stuff, his voice isnt high enough anymore.
  9. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'm with you there, man. Agree on all fronts. Actually I just sold that CD not too long ago. I liked it and all...just don't listen to it that much and...well...I'm unemployed and all and gotta pay the rent so I sell stuff on Ebay while I look for a job. Anyway...I had to say "Bye-bye" to some pretty decent CD's.

I agree with whoever said Geddy Lee too...never been a fan of that voice.

brad cook
  10. Socks

Socks Guest

I think Roger Waters (Pink Floyd) has a fairly weak voice, and should have given all vocal powers to Dave Gilmour, who's voice is much better.

I tried singing once, and was booed off the stage. Never went back...
  11. Bob Dylan ('nuff said)
    Tom Petty
    Keith Richard
    Greg Lake

I know I'll think of others.

This is sort of a tangent, but does anyone else hate the voice of the lead singer of AC/DC like I do? Jeez. How can that guy talk, the way he abuses his voice? I hate the voice, but I like to listen to him. It's like a fatal acident. It's horrible, but you can't look away.
  12. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah I can't stand that guy. I DON'T like to listen to him though and I CAN and do look away. :)

brad cook
  13. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Les Claypool... definetely...

also someone please remove the microphone from the Mike Portnoy drumkit :D
  14. The guitar player from Springsteen's E street band, Nils something. Hear him on Live in New York and never hear him again.
  15. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I cannot stand to hear Les Claypool sing.. it irritates me to no end

I don't Like Geddy lees voice either

Bob dillon can't sing in tune to save his life either
  16. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    Argh...Bite your toungue...j/k...just your opinion, I however, love to listen to Geddy's voice. I will admit though, when I first heard Rush, I thought the lead singer was a girl:rolleyes: :D .
  17. Flea - Did you ever hear him sing Pea live: ouch :eek:
  18. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    futureman...not a terrible voice on recordings...but live it was pretty bad....I think he was getting ahead of himself and singing to quickly...that and his vocals were being heavily dornwed out by his bass kick.
    the guy from rush
    (is it geddy lee that sings in rush?)
  19. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Everyone mentioned above sings better than I do (well, maybe not Mike Portnoy but who can take him seriously anymore?). It wouldn't be right of me to mention any names. I pretty much only sing in the car, though (don't want my neighbour to hear me in the shower).