1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Instruments gained or kept by way of "Spousal Approval®"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Malak the Mad, Jan 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Late last year, I managed to get the "Seal of Spousal Approval®" on the purchase of my first-ever American-made Fender. It's not to say I would've gotten overwhelming objections to the purchase in the first place…probably more of a "It's kinda expensive, y'know? :eyebrow:"

However, in the case of my wife, it's important to note she's (A) a professional artist and (B) it's in one of her all-time favorite colors. All it took was one look at the listing's crappy, online photograph to get an "Oh, Hell YEAH! :woot: :thumbsup:" from her.

Later that day, I called the owner and thus began the haggling! (fruitful haggling, I might add :smug:) Such is how I came to possess a lovely Jade Green Metallic 2013 Fender American Standard Jazz Bass.

Recently, I've seen other instances where "Spousal Approval®" of an instrument was the deciding keep/toss/buy/don't-buy vote. So, I am curious to see who else has had similar experiences.

Please, share some great pics and even better stories!

You've read my story, so now it's time for some pics. Sadly, until the weather turns more agreeable, I'll have to go with the mediocre-at-best pics taken by the seller. I'll update them as soon as I'm able.

IMG_02. IMG_1152.JPG

2. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

Well, I don't gain any spousal approval for any toys these days....but if and when our Financial situation improves, I'll be looking to get some sort of Stingray 5 approved. Not sure what version or configuration yet, but I'm leaning towards a Classic.

Sorry to be the party-pooper...

3. Malak the Mad

Ehh…just have a good story when you do get it. ;)

4. kittywithabanjo

kittywithabanjo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    It's all about negotiation.

This year 1 new Octane elliptical trainer was procured giving the green light for a major PA system update.

I believe I have seen some new shoes to new bass calculations here in the past.

RyanJD, R&B, Roberto Nunez and 4 others like this.
  5. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Of late mine have gone something like this, "But why do you need more basses? Well, this is a 25 year old Aria in great shape that needs to be loved and saved. Oh, and it's only $60 by the way. Wow,she say's, that's OK then".:D

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Usually it goes like this.

"Babe, I'm thinking about getting this bass here. (show her pic)"
    "How much?"
    "'Bout $1,700."
    "Is it a good deal?"
    "Of course, I'm cheap."
    "Your birthday is coming up. Email it to me and I'll get it."
    :D

That being said, I usually buy here these days so I prefer to handle the transactions myself. She hates how impersonal reimbursing for a purchase is. But she has still done it a couple of times when holidays are near.

i would call my wife a full-on enabler. I had to talk her out of buying me a '63 P bass from Carter Vintage last year. It played like a dream and sounded amazing. But I rarely play 4 strings so I just couldn't justify tying up that much money in a bass I would rarely play. SHE was more disappointed than I was that we left Nashville without the bass. We have literally been in a guitar shop and she will point to a 5 string and say "That's pretty. Do you have one of those?" I have to keep her from buying it usually. She knows nothing about basses other than they bring me joy. :smug:

7. Shamalama

Shamalama

Jan 26, 2017
    New England
    Yea for my yearly gear purge I let the wife pick a few basses out as I try em all
    She likes to do that
    Or I'll play a bunch of pedals and she gets to pick the one I take home
    It can be fun

8. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    When she starts earning money with the instruments I buy, she can have a say.

9. Malak the Mad

Ummm…sucks to be you, I guess? :confused: o_O

:D

10. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    The Classic 5 is so good. I went with the 4, but you will be happy either way.

11. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Basses my wife has bought me.

G&L L2000 (with her first paycheck as a nurse)
    Johnson Acoustic
    Fender CIJ Jaguar
    Kala Ubass
    Ibanez SRX505
    Threw in on the Fender Pawnshop Jaguar the kids bought me.

That woman is lucky to have me. Otherwise she would have spent all that money on unimportant things like food for the kids, etc.

darkinners, 5below, Reno2 and 15 others like this.
  12. StevieMac

StevieMac

Mar 17, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    My wife is an enthusiastic supporter. She bought this '69 P for me this summer.

227A9952_zpscbt1zrnb.

I'm expecting a NDB either today or tomorrow and she is ALL for it. :)

13. Spouse approval is a tough one! Our funds are a little tight & did not want to charge my recent purchase. So I had a few saved visa giftcards, a little cash, found a deal at a pawn shop that has a easy layaway. So, put all I had down, skipped lunches for a couple of months, then the bass came home! Wife could not gripe...

14. Malak the Mad

But did she want to? :whistle: :D

pappabass and Rabidhamster like this.
  15. Yes, she wanted to when i told her what i had in layaway. But she realized that I was eating a pack of peanut butter crackers every day to pay for it! Plus, I told her it was a Fender, that eased the tension!

Malak the Mad likes this.
  16. Malak the Mad

What exactly was it, if I may ask?

17. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Recently my wife 'bought' me a bass like this as an anniversary gift. Truth is, I found it here in TB and handled the transaction myself. :)
    squier-deluxe-dimension-bass-iv-3color-sunburst-19651.

18. Black on black MIM Fender P.

19. I don't ask for permission; rather, I make proper "notification," but since I'm not a jackass, ~at least to my family members~, I work on the " ~Equal or Greater Value~ " principle. Anything I buy, she gets something of equal or greater value. Doubles the price of any luxury item we get, but also stops any bickering dead in its tracks. ;)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  20. Malak the Mad

Cool system! Everyone's happy!! :thumbsup: