Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Insturment cables whats good?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jvtwin, Mar 13, 2001.

1. jvtwin

jvtwin What it needs is a little more cowbell

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    Okay, I've upgraded my rig from Trace Elliot to Aguilar and now own a NS Spector bass, now I'm being comfronted about the instrument cables I use. Okay, I'll admit, I've never given it much thought . I buy Whirlwind and thought those were okay, I mean, It's just a cable with a lifetime warranty, right? Well, I guess I'm wrong (again) Can anyone tell whats good, whats crap, and who is just out of their p-brain minds thinking they can charge $250.00 + for a cable and tell me "yeah, you NEED this!" I'm looking at Monster and Quatum right now. Any thoughts?

2. halfnote

halfnote

Feb 1, 2001
    I use spectraflex. They sound great, affordable, extremely durable, don't kink up too bad and roll up easily.

1/2 note

3. For around 40-60, dollars, Armoured Cable has a nice clean sound (not to mention you can step on it without interfering with the sound)

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Joe - I was looking at Quantum, too, the HSQI model, because I think the gold plated definitely has the sonic advantage from my experience. Plus, they don't have the jack made in third world countries.

One that isn't gold plated but is still a good sounding, high quality cable is George L's. I have a couple, besides the gold plated, and they must have some kind of voodoo in their wire. It sounds almost as good as the gold plated stuff.

If I were you, I wouldn't look at Monster too long. IMO, that's for people who feel that more expense always means more quality. It's doggone good, but not that crazy money good.

5. jvtwin

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    [QUOTE.

If I were you, I wouldn't look at Monster too long. IMO, that's for people who feel that more expense always means more quality. It's doggone good, but not that crazy money good. [/B][/QUOTE]

Hey Rickbass, long time no type to! By the way in case I may have forgotton to, Thank you for your advice and discussions on choosing a bass rig! As you can tell, I decided on Aguilar. It's only money, right?;)

I'll say one thing about monster is man what a pain in the ass to wind up! And I didn't think I heard a big enough diffferance to warrant the hassle. Also some other chats I've seen don't talk too highly about them. They seem to have a higher then average failure rate. How bout the Evidence Lyric line. I haven't heard them yet but it looks intresting from their web site. Ever hear anything bad or good?

6. rickbass

Evidence looks really good on paper. But I'm hung up on the gold plated thing and I don't see any gold plated. That's just me.

I was talking to a friend of mine who is an amateur guitarist and has a huge scientific background. I mentioned that I was using gold plated cables and that maybe it was just Pygmalion effect, but I thought they sounded better. He told me about a metallurgist he talked to who said that if you were trying to come up with the perfect conductor of an electrical signal you'd wind up with gold. So, maybe it wasn't my wallet thinking for me.

BTW, congrats on the Aguilar....FATTEST kid in the neighborhood, ain't it?

7. jvtwin

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.

Oh YEAH!! :D:D:D:D Went with the DB728 pwr amp and the GS410 with an Ashdown ABM RPM1 pre-amp. The Dream has become a reality! Thanks.

8. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    George L

1 not that expensive
    2 there is an increase in clarity/top end
    4 order custom lengths with angle or straight jacks
    5 long leads dont degrade sound
    6 solderless jacks, repair with screwdriver/pliers
    7 being thinner they store easier18 in loop and tie a loose knot in it

CS-not an employee or dealer

9. jvtwin

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.

A few folks mention the George L's and mention that the bottom end is somewhat weaker then the high end. I haven't tried them so, I'm not sure.

10. Here's another vote for George L's, does the term "industry standard" mean anything, good, tought so. George L's are the cables always used for comparison because they sound great, no signal loss, and have probably the broadest signal range that there is. The only drawback is that they aren't exactly what I'd call bulletproof, but they are really easy to repair. Gold is cool and yes it is a great conductor but unless all of your connections are gold too it is really just for looks.

11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Actually, you'd come up with silver, not gold.
    The advantage of using gold is that it doesn't react to oxygen. The conductance of gold is actually lower than of copper. But it wouldn't change anything noticable in sound and conductance because of the minimal amount of gold used (we're talking tens or hundreds of atom layers here). It's really only to prevent the influence of corrosion.

12. yep. if i remember, the top 8 conductors are:
    silver
    copper
    gold
    aluminum
    tungsten
    nickel
    iron
    tin

13. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I've used both SpectraFlex and Monster. For the difference in price, I'd say the SpectraFlex are more than adequate. They last a long time, come in some terrific color patterns and, as was said above, roll up nicely. The Monster cable I bought was a speaker cable to connect my amp to my speakers. I honestly didn't notice a difference in sound, but there may have been. Maybe the difference would be more appreciable in a recording studio.

JO

14. rickbass

Which is precisely why the metallurgist said it would be best to use; a balance of optimal performance and practicality.

15. I'd give my opinion if I knew anything about cables...
    or if Hong Kong had anything besides Fender & Ernie Ball cables...
    :(

16. Whichever cable you decide on, make sure you use either Switchcraft (USA) or Neutrik (Swiss) plugs. They are very strong, and most important, they are a full 1/4", not 6mm like all the asian ones. The difference may seem minimal, but 1/4" fits tighter in jack sockets, and so minimises the possibility of crackling.

17. rapco cables always sound phat to me, plus i like the red color