1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Insurance agent for past 23 years is retiring

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JacoLesFlea, Jan 26, 2012.

1. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

Jun 16, 2006
    Minnesota
    end of this month he sent a letter out saying who would be taking over as my agent..He has always been a good guy and that is the reason I stayed with this ins company even though I could have gone somewhere else a saved a few bucks. I would rather have a decent agent then save a few bucks anyways especially after being with them for so long. It is not Flo or the gecko or even Dennis Haysbert. Do I send a gift basket of wine and fine cheeses or is that too corny?

2. pflash4001

pflash4001

Dec 2, 2011
    If you feel this person merits them, then do it. Who cares what anyone else thinks.

3. I work the same way as you do! I would stay with a company that is a bit more expensive if i think they offer good service and if i have a good contact with them.

I would send something.

4. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

Jun 16, 2006
    Minnesota
    I will send something. thanks

5. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I stay with State Farm though theyre a bit more pricey, because Ive always gotten great service from them.
    Now that Im getting older, and some previous incidents are falling off my record, my rates have been dropping exponentially!

But, I wouldnt send anything. That same letter is being sent to all of his clients, and only to inform you of his leaving/your new agent. If you feel the need to put yourself on those terms with your new agent, by all means send something.

Is this car insurance? Or bundled with other insurances?

6. Take it from an insurance agent, it is not normal to be thanked or get any kind of appreciation. We tend to spend our days getting beaten up by people who don't pay their bills yet still want their car covered when they wrap it around a pole.

I'm sure you would make his month by sending a token of appreciation.

7. I'm in the "send him something" camp... everyone likes to be thanked ... the fact your asking would be enough for me to just do it.

those gift basket deals that have different cured meats and cheeses with crackers... one arriving at my footstep would be awesome.

8. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I would be lost without my current agent. I don't see him much, only at "life changing" events - babies, new house, new car, etc. - but we have a history. He knows me and my situation. I've been with the same company for 30 years, and this agent for maybe 10. We've gone from me being single and having renters insurance and car insurance to married, a coupe houses, a couple kids, life insurance, etc. I don't want to have to rebuild that background again with someone new. I hope my guy lasts a while.

9. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    If you like the dude, do it. But don't send a cheesy gift basket. Send beer. Everyone loves a nice beer at the end of the day.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Wine and fine cheeses? Yeah, that is corny unless you are hosting some kind of retirement reception.

Over 23 years you must have come to know some of his interests or hobbies, so gift accordingly. If not, maybe a fishing pole and a flask.

-Mike

11. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Oh, wait a second... you want to give your old agent a gift basket as a means of thanking him for his service?

In that case I might be more inclined to send something. I thought you were asking if you should send your new agent a gift...

12. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

Jun 16, 2006
    Minnesota
    Car thru state farm

13. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    [​IMG]

"I MISS YOU JESSICA!!!"

14. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Theyve done a great job coverage-wise for me, but I dont think Ive ever actually spoken with my agent personally, just dealt with people who work for him.
    I wouldnt send him a gift basket if he were retiring, but it sounds to me like you have a closer relationship with your agent than I.

15. billjr

billjr

Jul 25, 2006
    Darlington, SC
    I have been a State Farm agent for 13 years, and I think your agent would be honored to receive a gift from you.

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    We looked for an insurance agent in our new town, and found a good one. We pay more than we could, but he comes highly recommended. I don't mind paying more for better service. So far, he has been great.

-Mike

17. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

Jun 16, 2006
    Minnesota

let it be written, let it be done.