Insurance For A New Bass Guitar?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by IrishRifles, Sep 26, 2016.

  1. IrishRifles

    IrishRifles Inactive

    Apr 17, 2013
    Is there such a thing as insurance you can get for a new bass guitar? huh_zps13714d1a.gif

    I'm wondering being I just got one from an order placed months ago and want to protect my investment.

    Any help is greatly appreciated. wave_zpsof3vpjgp.gif
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  2. Ox Boris

    Ox Boris Inactive

    Nov 23, 2015
    Lob it on your home contents policy as a named item.
    48thStreetCustom and JMacBass65 like this.
  3. T_Bone_TL


    Jan 10, 2013
    SW VT
    Yup - talk to your insurance agent - don't have one, get one - don't own a home and have homeowner's insurance - get renter's insurance, and in either case you get a "rider" for the specific item if it exceeds the generic cost limit for such items.

    There are also policies that specifically cater to instruments and such, but get the skinny from your agent before you go there - you may need such a thing if you are a professional touring musician, or you may not. Get the straight talk on what your policy actually covers - if the bass is stolen/damaged/broken while you (and it) are away from your house, are you covered or not?

    Personally I go with the "bass too cheap to worry about much" approach, but presumably yours is not.
  4. Jon Moody

    Jon Moody Commercial User

    Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    Totally depends.

    Check with your renters insurance/homeowners policy in regard to putting an instrument under it. Many of them will NOT insure an instrument if it is used in a professional manner, so you need to be very specific about that, as well as what you're going to do with it. If they won't cover it, you'll need to get something along the lines of a "Professional Articles Policy" which then covers the instrument. This is what I have, and to cover everything (all my basses, amps, etc..) it's around $200/annually.
    growlypants and Linnin like this.
  5. Linnin


    Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    That is actually not a bad annual premium. What is your deductible if any?
  6. Remyd


    Apr 2, 2014
    St. Louis, MO

    There are a few musician targeted insurance houses, but I hear price and coverage vary considerably. I have a rider on my home policy for my DB, but the yearly cost of insurance on my BG's was higher than their replacement cost. :)
  7. sissy kathy

    sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

    Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    See 'The Gear Insurance Thread' in the stickies above.
    matthewbrown likes this.
  8. Jon Moody

    Jon Moody Commercial User

    Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    Linnin likes this.
  9. 48thStreetCustom


    Nov 30, 2005
    Yeah, my gear is on my rental insurance. It's extra, but very reasonable. I can't remember but wanna say it was like $60 a year extra for $10K in music equipment.
  10. JTE

    JTE Gold Supporting Member

    Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Any insurance company will gladly take your premium and add instruments to a rider. Whether they will actually cover you for a loss depends on the specific terms, how THEY define those terms, and what you're doing with the gear. Be aware that your hobby band that gigs once every two months and splits $100 five ways is professional use to the insurer. Which means if anything happens regardless of whether it's at a gig or not, and you have a regular policy that does not specifically state professional use, you ain't covered.

    Be specific about the use and exposure when talking to the agent.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    T_Bone_TL and Jon Moody like this.
  11. IrishRifles

    IrishRifles Inactive

    Apr 17, 2013
    Yeup, that's what mine told me.
    Although I was able to find coverage that will fully cover it outside the home, its from Lloyd's Of London, waiting to hear back from them with what it will cost.