1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Insurance on your instruments?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassmanbob, Apr 25, 2003.

  1. Bassmanbob

    Bassmanbob Supporting Member

    Now that I've started playing 2 years ago after a 14 year hiatus, I've purchased some expensive equipment between a new bass and amps/cabs.

    Do you have insurance on your high end equipment? Is it cost effective? Do I need a rider if I have home owner's insurance? Does it make a difference to your insurance company if your equipment was stolen at a gig, your rehearsal location or in your home?

    I know that ultimately I have to call my insurance carrier, but I was wondering what you folks have done.
  2. I do have an insurance on my instruments, since one of them is worth something like 1500$. It's a personnal insurance which includes "civil responsibility", and it covers most of my furniture. I suggest that you talk to your counselor about an insurance for your instruments. I'm sure he's gonna find something to suit your needs.
  3. Bassmanbob

    Bassmanbob Supporting Member

    Thanks. I'll talk to my insurance agent.

    I'm surprised this didn't get a larger response. I wonder if that means that no one thinks about insuring their instruments.

    I'll post my agent's info when I get it.
  4. malthumb


    Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City

    I'm paying @ $200 to insure more than $30K in gear.


  5. Winston TK

    Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

    Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Definitely do some research.

    Home policies can easily be adjusted to cover musical instruments. You simply include a rider with all the gear you want insured. However, be warned! In most cases, home insurance will only cover your instruments if they have been stolen from your home, and if those instruments are NOT USED PROFESSIONALLY. If this applies to you, then this is certainly a good route. However, if you are a gigging musician, this is basically useless. Most risk to your gear is at clubs, in the van, etc.

    For more comprehensive professional insurance, you might want to look around. Ask other professional musicians what they do (as you are doing right here). Joining the Musician's Union (AFM) is not a bad idea. They offer excellent insurance policies that cover your gear no matter where the mishap happens.

    Be prepared, though. A comprehensive non-union policy that covers your professional gear anywhere against theft, damage, etc., will have quite a high premium. Joining the Union is a bit of a setback because of dues, but the policies offered are quite good and the premiums very reasonable.
  6. gfab333


    Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I'm checking out Heritage Insurance, which was recommended by Rodger Sadowsky. I'll also check with Merz-Huber as suggested in this thread.

    Has anyone suffered a loss (due to theft or damage) and obtained a payout from either of these insurance companies? if so, what was your experience? easy or difficult to obtain the payout?


Share This Page