Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Insurance?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Michael Case, Jul 19, 2002.

1. I was just wondering, does anybody have any suggestions on insuring a DB. I have a hybrid Strunal and I play weekly gigs and know if something happened to my bass I couldn't afford to a. fix it or b. replace it. Any advice you could give would be appreciated.
    Mike

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I've had my policy with MusicPro for about 18 months now; when Merz-Huber raised their deductible and minimum I looked elsewhere and found them. The rate I got from Merz-Huber was through my membership in the International Society of Bassists. Now, with MusicPro, I cover over $25K of stuff for around $220/yr.

However, I understand they are hard to get hold of these days, a contact told me they are overwhelmed. I sent in my renewal with changes about three weeks ago and haven't yet received confirmation and an updated coverage listing. My guess is that they are being flooded with applications and questions, as Musicians Friend is linking to them for insurance coverage.

MusicPro is in my Double Bass Links Page - http://www.urbbob.com/basslink.html under MISC

3. so are you saying that it's a better deal through ISB. or is it the same?
    Thanks,
    Mike

4. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Merz-Huber gives a different rate to ISB members. There's another one, forget the name but it's in my LINKS that also has discounts for certain associations. In the case of Merz-Huber the discount will save you money even with the ISB dues. The other had similar deals, and you can ask them. Even if it's not a bass-related organization, savings is savings. Music-Pro went up a little bit at the renewal; I'm not up on each of the companys' rates, but they are all on-line and have phone#-- may as well shop each of them.

5. Cool, thanks alot.

6. bootsaco

bootsaco

Sep 8, 2001
    Portland, ME
    also, if you were to join ASTA with NSOA, if that's an option(translation: a student), merz and huber offers insurance even cheaper than the ISB rate.

7. do they have a site? can you post the lonk?
    Thanks,
    Mike

8. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore