Integrating new technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Waldog, Apr 11, 2005.

1. One problem I am facing at the moment is how to integrate new technique into your playing when you are playing with a band/gigging regularly.

For example, I have started working on Gary Willis' floating thumb technique. It still feels very foreign, and I cant play anywhere near as good with it yet as without. So when I play with the band, I have to use my regular technique. I feel like this just reinforces what I would hope will become my "old" technique.

I'm thinking I'm just going to have to get my new technique up to scratch in private before using it with the band. Which is the long way to do it. I know, I know, the long way is often the only way etc, but does anyone have any suggestions?
  2. try playing ur bands songs using the new technique by urself, once your comfortable play it with ur band
  3. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    That's always a tough one.
    #1.)You need to increase your practice time alot, focus mainly on the new technique.
    #2.)Try to start integrating new technique into easier, less technical phrases of songs.
    #3.) If/when your band has rehearsals let you bandmembers know that you are "upgrading" your technique and just let it fly, to the extent that is is acceptable to your fellow bandmates.
    #4.) Always keep an "open mind", there are many ways to skin a cat and the possibility may exist that a given technique may not be favourable to your style of music and playing..
    Good Luck!!!