1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Intentional irony: A good bassist on an inexpensive bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tb-player, Apr 22, 2021.

1. mapleglo and hanokiyo like this.
  2. hanokiyo

hanokiyo

Apr 29, 2021
    Exactly, and maybe it should be applauded when silly money is spent by non-great players on expensive basses, because they will eventually end up being sold for less, after which some other happy bass player can get their hands on them.
    That's exactly how I got an instrument that cost over $5k new for about 1500 used.

Eli_Kyiv, DJ Dru and Artman like this.
  3. Interesting topic, I’ve always been of the opinion, let your playing do the talking, but use gear that if something was to happen to it during a live situation, you wouldn’t be crying the blues.
    I don’t own a 15,000 dollar Fedora, nor would I want to take something of that quality to a gig. I’m showing up with my Schecter Cali Jazz and a Squier Di 5. Good stuff in the own rights.

4. mark harison

mark harison

Jul 29, 2017
    A good player can make any bass sound good. Unless it's a high dollar gig or recording project there is nothing wrong with a Squire. I had a Squire P bass and I wish I still had it.

5. DrMole

DrMole Supporting Member

A bit sideways of topic- never understood the concept of not playing a great, expensive instrument at a gig. That is what they were made for.
    Be careful. Do not leave it unattended.
    Insurance...and don't leave it in a NYC taxi

Artman and David McIntire like this.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I agree with that to a point. If I had a $10,000 bass there's no way I'd play it at a punk or metal show at a club. But I would play a $2000 bass...if I had one :D

bigtone23 and DrMole like this.
  7. David McIntire

David McIntire

Apr 5, 2020
    Earth
    A long time ago I saw a video with a guy playing a very rare, high end 6 string. I wanted that bass. Scrimped, saved, finally got one. Played it at every gig for ten years. Metal, variety, country, rock, blues, dance, motown, originals. You name it. I play it.

Then one day, I start overhearing guys talk about me. Sayin my tone, skill, reason I was hired so much, all depended upon my gear selection. Uh, no... So, ten years ago I sold said high end instrument. Bought an instrument with a far lower cost and reputation. My friends thot me mad. My rivals smiled. Sorry, kids, but I work even more now. And have used the "lesser" instrument for the last ten years. Same thing happened with a way high end Fretless I owned for awhile. A buddy hadda far less expensive fretless and brought it over one day. I asked to trade immediately. Sound was far better, and I can make any bass play and feel any way I want. Setup skills can be handy. And sound, in my hands, is my only requisite of owning an instrument. Weight, spacing, woods, et al, are not considerations of mine.

Now, guys keep asking to buy my "lesser" instruments. They wanna know how I succeed without the Luxury Gear. I pulled a similar exercise wit my rig. I used to use WAY high end stuff. Today, I use the same stuff I did 25 an 30 years ago. Except? Folk hate on it now, in tb and in the real world, til they hear it. Great tone does not age...

I meet guys all the time. Some introduce themselves with their gear. And how MUCH they paid. Some introduce themselves with how LITTLE they paid. I find I get along better with the latter group. I prefer to think I, as a player, can succeed with anything. My friends and I challenge each other to do just that. Hand me any bass, any rig, and I won't be fired, or lose an audition. I've used it all. Played a 1000 basses, used hundreds of rigs. Best lesson I ever learned, and the hardest. Gear means nothing, except? You gotta believe in, love, what you use. I sound like me, no matter. For a long time, that disappointed me. I wanted to sound like my heroes. Now, I love my sound. On any piece. My current amp rig cost me under 700 dollars. Preamp, power amp, rack, D.I. box and two 212 cabs.

Gear is made far better today than in the past. A Mexican P is built far better today than ANY American Fender from the 70s or 80s. Marcus Miller's tech calls his 77 a P.O.S. It is. Just like the dozens I tried back then. And still occasionally play today, when friends bring em, or they're at Jams. Guy pays thousands for a 200 dollar instrument? Drives me crazy. But? If they love it? What I think matters very little.

8. Jack Deth

Jack Deth

May 7, 2020
    Missouri
    Yes

David McIntire likes this.
  9. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    All the bands I've played in didn't care what bass I played as long as it sounded good and I played it well. They were usually too worried about their own gear to worry about mine.

Maartenaerts likes this.
  10. hanokiyo

hanokiyo

Apr 29, 2021
    On the contrary, the P-style pickup on your MVP will sound just fine. A Jazz is not going to sound better on I Feel the Earth Move.

DJ Dru likes this.
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    That is so bizarre seeing Marty Feldman doing a skit with John Cleese and Graham Chapman! Tim from the Goodies I'd expect, but never Marty Feldman!

BlueTalon, lomo and DrMole like this.
  12. DrMole

DrMole Supporting Member

Brilliant!
    No better skit to match many of the attitudes discussed in this thread:D:thumbsup:

JimmyM and lomo like this.
  13. David76112

David76112

Feb 19, 2012
    America
    It's about whatever works for you best. This is why I would never spend big bucks for a replica vintage Bass. All that money for something that looks all used and worn. I would want something nice and shiny and new looking.

JimmyM and DrMole like this.
  14. This statement is probably my most quoted, and most responded to on TB. A world record for me.
    I have actually picked up on some underlying tension and hostility from others due this statement.
    To those 10 or 12 responses I got, I think you all are reading way too much into it...seriously. It’s just an opinion. We all have them, just like we all have a-holes, right. Does it make me a horrible person, whom none of you personally know (and never will...)?
    Sheesh, I may have to exile, or self-cancel myself from TB for a about year so that everyone forgets me and my crazy opinions....

15. MynameisMe

MynameisMe These aren't the effects you're looking for... Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Florida
    They'll get over it.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Hey, believe what you want to believe. Thought Police and all that...who needs it? But you put it out there and people react.

Ricky Rioli and DrMole like this.
  17. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    It’s rare (very rare) that anybody, bandmates, audiences, anyone notices or cares what I play. They only care how I play.

OregonJim likes this.
  18. Hey, yeah
    Cool, man
    Exactly, “who needs all that Jazz?”
    But whatever, bro...I’ll get my tin foil hat now and a paper bag.

19. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    If you had visited any of museums with instruments played by famous musicians in the past, you will understand what gear snobbery is.
    I have tons of pictures of the original instruments played on the greatest hits of the past. Predominant were Silvertone, sometimes Teisco, Kay and lot of no-names...
    Today, we have Foderas, Steinbergs, this and those, and listen the music coming out... Enough said.

20. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    Australia
    You remind me of a group that came through town on tour. The bass player had a bright yellow entry level Yamaha 4 string, we all thought he was a bit of a joker, until we heard him play...

He played everything you could imagine on that yellow bass and it sounded awesome.

When I asked him at the end of the show why he used that bass he told me as he travels around the world it’s easy and cheap to replace if it’s lost or damaged.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021