Inter-connecting Cables

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ZenBass, Nov 17, 2003.

1. *not sure where this lies but its do with speakers and amps but mods plz feel free to move it to whereever you feel appropriate*

My dad (bless him) is pretty handy with a soildering iron since he has a degree in mech eng.. lol and has done all my cables ... however my next purchase willr require speakon connectors...

I shall obviously get Neutrix plugs but what cable do people recommend?....and do i need to use the sheild on them?...

Any help would be great....!!!...

I guess high qualiy PA/Speaker cable would do it.. but there are lotsa types...

Thanks you guys :)
  2. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Hi ZB,

Neutrik Speakon connectors are for speaker cables, not interconnects, and you would use large-gauge, two-conductor stranded copper cable for most such applications. Round-jacketed cable usually works the best because it's easy to handle, coil up, etc.

For interconnects, you would use shielded cable. If the interconnections are balanced, you would use two-conductor-plus-shield cable, such as is used for mics. The connectors you use would most likely be XLR (like standard mic connectors) or 1/4" TRS plugs. Neutrik, Switchcraft, and Amphenol are some good brands of connectors.

If the interconnections are unbalanced, you would use one-conductor-plus-shield cable, and probably 1/4" TS plugs (similar to an instrument cable, but probably shorter).