Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Interchangeable pre-amp

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DWBass, Jan 25, 2005.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I knew someone was gonna do it as I posed this question a while back asking about interchangeable pickups and pre-amps. What do yall think. Brubaker Guitars. Ouch though! It's a $700 option!!

[​IMG]

2. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Anyone here own this option - perhaps Brad Johnson, Brubaker afficianado? If so, what pres are available and how does it sound??

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I have one bass with the removable module. $700 is the retail price of having the bass built with one module. Extra modules are far less.

Initially I had Bartolini NTMB, Basslines and Aguilar OBP-3 modules. I kept the Bart and Aggie and gave the Basslines back. For the first year I used the Bart exclusively, the Aggie was cool but I preferred the Bart. I got around to trying the Aggie again and found that I loved what it was doing in this particular bass.

This particular bass was built with the intention of nailing the classic Ash/Maple 70's Jazz bass sound. It's constructed of a heavy piece of Ash and has a Maple neck with Spalted Maple board over a layer of Ebony.

With the Aggie it does indeed nail that vibe. I don't know what I was initially hearing but I couldn't be happier now. The Aggie EQ centers are different from the NTMB. I used this bass on a gig last night and as usual it was smoking.

Second from left.
    [​IMG]

The module-equipped bass looks like the other basses. The controls and toggle slide out the back.

So far Kevin has built modules with the above preamps, Sadowsky and Mike Pope preamps AFAIK. The Pope is being completed now, I didn't get to hear the Sadowsky before it shipped but Kevin seemed seriously impressed with it. I know he's looking into doing a U-Retro, Demeter and some other models. He's been building the module equipped basses for a couple of years now.

BTW I work with Kevin Brubaker now. I bought these basses before that. Doh!