1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Interested in getting a custom L2K done

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by XR3MYX, Jul 17, 2008.

1. XR3MYX

XR3MYX

Jul 15, 2004
    Well.. I've been searching for a new bass. I want something original. Something with all the features I want. I've found some that fit mostly what I want but not everything. I really want an L2K, but they don't have the outrageous color I want. I saw the news page on thier site and saw Liam Wilson from D.E.P. with his custom ASAT. It's silver metal flake, and that's what gave me this idea. I went through G&L's site and hand picked every feature I wanted. Will G&L do a custom made L2K if I call in and pay?

Here's my plan:
    G&L L2K
    Green Metal Flake
    #6 Neck
    Maple Finger Board
    Matching Headstock

2. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

They will make that, no problem as you picked from the "standard options" but you need to go through a dealer, not directly to G&L.

I ordered my last new G&L through Matt at www.guitarmannyc.com and I think there are other TB sponsers (www.rocketmusic.com, maybe others) that are G&L dealers as well.

Or you could go to your local G&L dealer - your call . . .

3. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ
    +1 to Guitar Man. I just did a custom L2K through him earlier this year and it was nice and easy.

4. XR3MYX

XR3MYX

Jul 15, 2004
    I dont have any dealers near me. I'll have to see if I can find one somewhat close.

5. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ
    There's no need to do that. Call or email Matt at http://guitarmannyc.com/ and he'll walk you through the process. He's great to deal with.

6. nice combination, my only suggestion would be to go with a gun oil tint on the neck, makes a huge difference. I love the flakes, the blue is cool !! and I really do not like blue basses.

I am thinking about a ordering a new l2k, unless someone has a used one with these specs

L2K black, with matching headstock
    standard #7 neck
    gun oil tint on quartersawn maple neck
    birdseye fingerboard

7. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Definately go with the gun oil tint

8. flash99

flash99

Jun 8, 2005
    New York City
    Just an FYI - quartersawn maple necks are not an option. G&L tries to use quartersawn maple for bass necks and while a dealer can request it, it wouldn't be guaranteed.

9. that is interesting, I wonder why quartersawn necks are the luck of the draw in a hand made US bass. I would think with the closeness in quality and in sound between the tribs and the US made basses, that G&L would make this an option, It is one of the big differences between US made Laklands and the skylines, and it is indeed quite beautiful. Purely aesthetic I know as flatsawn is just as stable. For the money that a custom G&L costs, this should be an option.

10. You are probably aware, but a US made G&L L-2000 will start around $1200, with custom options priced accordingly. I think you will find that, with the exception of the xx-01 basses, these prices line up with Lakland's Skyline series. For the quality/price, US G&L's are a steal with or without the quartersawn neck.

11. no doubt, I am not knocking G&L, they are all I use by choice and I have owned all their competitors. I am just saying that like birdseye fingerboards, quartersawn necks are what I like to see on a bass costing as much as $2K. My L2500 has every option there is, except a crazy top, My L2K has zero options except a premiere finish. one has a flatsawn neck and the other has quartersawn, They sound pretty much the same, wonderful

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021