1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Interested in learning about amps, recommend resources

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by beebassdude, Apr 24, 2010.

1. beebassdude

beebassdude Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA
    Hi guys, so i just bought an 1972 ampeg V4 and it turns out its definitely got some issues. i had it shipped, whether these issues happened in transit or the previous owner was unaware, its got problems. obviously im not an amp tech, but i kinda wanna start learning about this stuff so i can hopefully in the future fix some of my own stuff, instead of paying and waiting for weeks for a tech to fix it.

can anyone recommend some good books or some good sites that have information on understanding the inner working of an amp? thanks guys!

2. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    I was advised start by making some pedals.

Also, don't practice on a 1972 Ampeg V4

3. beebassdude

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA

no im not practicing on that, thats already been taken to a tech and out of my hands. but to avoid that in the future, id like to know how to fix amps or even build them at some point.

4. joeyjoejoe

joeyjoejoe

Apr 12, 2010
    'the tube amp book' is pretty good and has some cool stuff in it.

5. beebassdude

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA
    any good online resources to check out?

6. geofex / muzique . com

7. joeyjoejoe

joeyjoejoe

Apr 12, 2010
    http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk/tubestuf/index.htm

this guy has a lot of good stuff and there are technical explainations in the projects.
    i made the 'real mctube II' pedal and it sounds great with bass. no real effect on tone, but it dirties up the signal nicely.

8. beebassdude

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA

you know of any place online that i can order those parts from in order to build that thing?

9. joeyjoejoe

joeyjoejoe

Apr 12, 2010
    i ordered everything i didn't already have from smallbear electronics.
    you'll have to find your own 12ax7/12au7 though.

in the plans he tells you how to use a couple of 12V wall warts for the transformers. I didn't do that because i already had a nice transformer to use.