Interested in SWR's Mo Amp...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rickreyn, Jan 12, 2002.

1. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Any thoughts? I would like some basic effects, but hate stomp boxes and pods. This seems to be the best of all worlds.
  2. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    SWR makes nice amps and all but before you spend that much Mo' money on the SWR you should try the Eden WT-800. Very Clean fantastic bass sound. You can buy exactly whatever effect you want that way instead of contending with only is built in. I only use a sonic maximizer (BBE). Good luck to you which ever amp you buy.
  3. progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    I had GAS a year ago. I actually traded in my SWR SM-900 for a Mo'Bass head (THE BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE) and literally owned the MO for 5 days. I did not like the tone shaping (at the time I used a Warwick Thumb 5 neck-thru) of the amp. To me it is very limited! The effects were of NO USE. Seriously. The chorus effect is awesome yes BUT the bass synth, that waveform etc... were useless to me. I jumped on the bandwagon and got burnt!!!!! So really consider what you want out of the MO. I find that SWR head useless in the effects department. I quickly went back and got my SWR 900 back (thank god I knew the guy that did the deal with me!!!!!!!) and kicked myself in the ass for doing what I did.

I now own an Eden WT-600 and could not feel any better about it. Seriously consider your options before buying a so called MO BASS head
  4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Here's a recent thread on the Mo' Bass, Rick.

Mo' thread
  5. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    if i were you - i'd get an SM900 and a bass pod or other multi effect deal. that way at least you'll have a good amp :)

i dunno - i was jonesen for one for a long time, but then i actually spent some time with it.

and i know it's cool that all the effects are analog, but they sound like crap - my old zoom 506 had very similar sounding effects.

6. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    I was very dissapointed when I tried it at GC. The sound was limited and had no guts what so ever.(900 watts) into the megoliath. I tried a Bass 750 on the mego and the quality was much better than the Mo'bass.(much louder)
  7. phogchris

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I have owned a Bass 750 and now I own a Mo' Bass. I will agree that the effects are hard to dial in, however, they are far from useless. They are of good quality also. The preamp section seems to be very similiar to the 750(it sound identical to me) I owned, but with the addition of the Mo 'EQ you get some tonal flexibilities. I really like the distortion and you can get a very cool envelope follower type sound with a few knob tweaks. The Bass 750 would not be usable with 2 Big Bertha's and thats the main reason for switching. I really need distortion on a few parts of songs, also, and I hate pedals. I cannot justify the extra cost of the SM900, I donot really like too much EQ, I like it simple...If I didn't really need effects and I was running a 2.6 ohm load or HIGHER, I would of bought another Bass 750. And fast slapper, you must have done something wrong with the Mo' Bass, was it bridged, and on the right power setting? Because 900 SWR watts are louder than 750 SWR watts, they use the same power on both amps....And Warwick5s, I had a Zoom 506 and theses effects are nothing like that!! That is a crazy statement. I will send sample of the effects, they are much better than the effects on the POD Pro and the Zoom pedal(puh-lease), I returned one of those(POD), it wasn't worth the $$ to me....Playing an amp at the store for 20 minutes with a bass that's not yours is not the way to truly test an amp. This amp needs a bit of tweaking to get it to sound amazing, and it does!!

8. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    I made sure it was bridged, but maybe it was abused because they do not take care of the bass section.(Fresno GC sucks!)
  9. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    What cabs are you going to push with it?
  10. phogchris

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I plan on pushing 2 Big Bertha's, but I have only 1 at the monemt...
  11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The problem with some FX, especially fancy synthesizer ones, is the learning curve. It's much much easier to get ugly tones than cool ones. I managed to get a pretty good synth sound from a Mo' Bass, and then someone else sat down and got a totally phat Nine Inch Nails tone.
  13. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    i didnt like the mo bass too much. the eq section seems lacking and the effects are kind of weak. swr could have done better. the peavey bam210's effects are amazing. that amp is impressive. but the mo bass is just mediocre.. if you like it, then thats great.