Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Interesting (about internet linguistics)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Aug 21, 2003.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
  2. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Very interesting area of linguistics. The evolution of informal speech is pretty fascinating. Especially when viewed in the context of the communications revolution we have experienced over the last few decades and the binding effect it has had on the English language.

3. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    LOL, dats funny. Very interesting, it always bothered me when I was asked by my teacher to peer edit somebodies paper and it was full of E-Speak.

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    great article, lm. one of my pet peeves is rampant abbreviations. i've seen folks come around here and abbreviate words that were only 4 or 5 letters long to start with - down to 3. 2 letter savings? is typing really that hard?

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    wat?

:rolleyes:

:D ;)

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i think the proper abbreviation is "wot". :)

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Yeah, and what about those people who never use the shift key? Is that so hard to do?:p

*Ducks in the corner*

8. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Yeah, sometimes I take typing for granted. Since I know how to type I forget what it's like to hunt and peck. Anyways, I would suggest everyone at least take one typing class in high school. In this day and age, it makes everything much more easy. Even if you aren't going into a secretarial field it's still a valuable asset. Just yesterday, I typed out a cover letter for my job resume that took like an hour (including editing) that probaly would have taken much longer if I couldn't type. I doubt I would spend as much time on message boards as I do if I couldn't type. ;)

*gets off self-righteous pro-typing soapbox* :D

Sometimes I'll use e-slang though because it just conveys certain things better. Like *LOL*. It's much more consise than writing "That is very funny. At this current moment I am in my chair laughing out loud". (which seemed to be the point of the article) I don't mind certain abbreviations and acronyms like LOL, BRB, FYI, ect. It's when "ppl strt 2 tiep lik dis" when I get annoyed.

9. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Yes I agree. Of course (American) English is like the ultimate bastardization of all the other languages in the world.

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I find it funny that they spend some time explaining that you should netspeak to appear hip and young.

Criminy, I've never used any of the net abbreviations in anything other than jest. Guess I'm tragically unhip and a narc.

11. that would be me! i absolutely HATE (i just used caps lock, not shift for that) using the stupid thing!