Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

interesting adjective...Rolling Stone does it again!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by silentstranger, Apr 15, 2003.

1. Reading my housemate's copy of the new Rolling Stone (Good Charlotte cover), I noticed a little blurb on Parliament containing this choice quote:

"By Chocolate City (1975), the band had the plot down: Bernie Worrell's space-age keyboard sounds, Bootsy Collins' watery bass lines, Clinton's mad-ringmaster raps."

I admit, I haven't yet listened to as much Parliament and/or Bootsy as I should have, but I'm drawing a blank about how "watery" applies to a bassline. :confused: I see a lot of this sort of thing in Rolling Stone, but this one struck me as one of the weirdest. Audience participation: comment on this, or let's hear some more!

2. maybe he has a REALLY low tuned bass... :D

3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Do they mean that he had a highly effected tone? You know how the depth of an effect is sometimes refered to as wet/dry...I dunno, I wouldn't have said watery...squishy, sure - but watery...hmmmm...well, maybe.

4. savagelucy

savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    Canada
    I would have thought it would be describing his effects too. I think Bootsy used *alot* of Q-Tron on his bass tone. This isn't the first time I've heard this.

edit: I just remembered that I read a Bass Player review of the Mini Q-Tron, here's the first paragraph of the article:"For decades, the Mu-Tron III evelope filter was *the* watery, vowel like sound heard on gobs of funk classics ( think Bootsy, baby)..."

Hope that helps;)

5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I believe it was a MuTron III, but close enough.:)