interesting adjective...Rolling Stone does it again!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by silentstranger, Apr 15, 2003.

1. Reading my housemate's copy of the new Rolling Stone (Good Charlotte cover), I noticed a little blurb on Parliament containing this choice quote:

"By Chocolate City (1975), the band had the plot down: Bernie Worrell's space-age keyboard sounds, Bootsy Collins' watery bass lines, Clinton's mad-ringmaster raps."

I admit, I haven't yet listened to as much Parliament and/or Bootsy as I should have, but I'm drawing a blank about how "watery" applies to a bassline. :confused: I see a lot of this sort of thing in Rolling Stone, but this one struck me as one of the weirdest. Audience participation: comment on this, or let's hear some more!
  2. maybe he has a REALLY low tuned bass... :D
  3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Do they mean that he had a highly effected tone? You know how the depth of an effect is sometimes refered to as wet/dry...I dunno, I wouldn't have said watery...squishy, sure - but watery...hmmmm...well, maybe.
  4. savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    I would have thought it would be describing his effects too. I think Bootsy used *alot* of Q-Tron on his bass tone. This isn't the first time I've heard this.

edit: I just remembered that I read a Bass Player review of the Mini Q-Tron, here's the first paragraph of the article:"For decades, the Mu-Tron III evelope filter was *the* watery, vowel like sound heard on gobs of funk classics ( think Bootsy, baby)..."

Hope that helps;)
  5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I believe it was a MuTron III, but close enough.:)