1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Interesting analysis of wood mass and sustain...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by MovinTarget, Dec 10, 2018.

1. MovinTarget

MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Could also be called Ned Steinberger's Revenge :D

Yes, a lot of the wood in the body is there for other uses (balance, comfort, housing electronics in convenient places), but this is food for thought over the sustain debate...

2. Scoops

Scoops Why do we use base 10 when we only have 8 fingers Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I am me
    Does that guitar have frets?

3. MovinTarget

MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    I was thinking the same thing, but if you look closely I think the frets are black.

4. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

Changed the tone a good bit I think

5. MovinTarget

MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Yes, but I think the point is that having a bigger, heavier body does nothing for sustain as some believe. Tone is a different story.

To counter his argument, I suppose if you had a naturally occurring resonance to a particular pitch (would that be called sympathetic response?) that would would ring out longer, but this would be rare and rather limited to that single tone and still subject to dampening factors such as vibration absorption from external medium (i.e. the body the guitar is held against most likely ain't gonna help it resonate)