Interesting Article about GC in Business 2.0

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Andy Brown, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Jonas.

Jun 2, 2005

nice bass in your avatar btw. what actually is it? i felt complied to comment.
  2. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
  3. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Yar!! Subscription'd! Oh well, I'll check it out on the newstand next time I'm there.
  4. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Only my opinion, AJ, but that may be the most beautiful bass I've ever seen.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

6. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Sorry about that... I thought you could access it. Try this one...
  7. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Thanks K, that sentiment has made my wallet a lot lighter. :D
  8. makes sense, thats one of the main reasons why I want to walk right back out as soon as I step in. to me "the vibe" is more like "the annoying sound of a bunch of people playing Come as you enter sandman going to the stairway to heaven smelling like teen spirit...." you get the idea. makes me glad that Chicago is a city that still has tons of small music shops around.
  9. Just to add to the story..if anyone wants to know why Rickenbacker stopped their business with is the news.

Apparantly i guess the sales people were focusing on or found it easier to sell mass produced instruments that were in store at the time then to try and sell Rics with their long waiting list.
  10. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Thanks for the other link!

95% turnover... yowza.
  11. waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Great insight. I had to sit through those morning meetings, a long time ago. There's nothing like some jerk asking you how much you were going to sell that day. It's using shame to motivate. Nobody wants to have their poor sales figures paraded in front of the whole staff.

My biggest frustration is that you can't build a relationship with a salesperson anymore. Most of them get tired or fired before too long. I even heard that they get rid of the ones who are making lots of money for themselves because it is cheaper to have a new guy who is not making anything on top of the minimum. Most of them don't know what they are selling. Heck, I had to teach myself about most of the stuff. The manager was too busy making her own deals to teach her crew. Her system of giving every single customer the rock bottom price meant that every other salesperson was getting grief about trying to sell anywhere near the price tag. This went on for months after she finally left.
  12. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    i think this sums up gc's hiring standards quite nicely. and how do you have 160% turnover (which has now been reduced to only 95%) ? I don't see GC being a Wal Mart of the musical instrument business- there's always going to be the demand for stuff besides Fender and Ampeg :bassist: not that there's anything wrong with fender and ampeg... :D
  13. jwsamuel

Apr 26, 2004
    Well, I read the articel and it left me with this question:

In what parallel universe was the GC described in the article located?

It sure did not seem like any GC I've been in.

14. I wonder how low I can get the American P bass for. Razor thin profit? I would hope around 700. to 750..
  15. Started and run like a used car lot. That tells you everything you need to know. Do like I do. Go in and kick the tires and use up time, then go buy from a local neighborhood music store. GC wants to be the superwalmart of music. Their business model is to eliminate ALL competition. If you support GC, you are supporting the demise of the small, product knowledgable store.
  16. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland

If you share this sentiment don't buy from Musician's Friend or Music and Arts either (both owned by GC).
  17. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    All I can say is... support your local music store(s)!

18. LizzyD

LizzyD Chocoholic

Oct 15, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Sadowsky Artist
    Wow, reading that article kind of made me sick to my stomach. And even more glad to have some really great local stores to choose from in the Seattle area: Bass Northwest, American Music, Donn Bennett Drums, Guitarville, Emerald City Guitars, etc.

I do enjoy looking at stuff at GC but I don't often buy things there unless it's really a deal or it's something no one else would have.
  19. I will buy from GC any time I feel I can get a deal. I fully support a boycott of Walmart. The fact that one superstore can crush the livelyhood of so many working people is just disgusting in a country like ours. But on the other hand, to support a local bussiness that, for one, won't accept unwanted merchandise back in a timely fashion and two probrably has only a handfull of gear that I want is bull. There are a few small stores by me and maybe, just maybe, they may have something I want. I'm not saying I won't shop in a small store but I am saying is my concern was always for American manufacturing jobs and since nobody ever gave a rats ass about that than I sure as hell dont care about some mom and pop music store that cant afford to stock worthwhile gear. :mad: