Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Interesting Article

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Vorago, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I read this article this week in a magazine. I found it to be very interesting...Its translated from Dutch, so there might be some flaws in it...I'll give it a try..

(copyright Knack 2004)

Hope you find it interesting, and I hope the translation is a bit descent.

2. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Somebody'll probably come in and bitch in a few minutes about you reposting an article (as per the new forum rules).

That is interesting, though.

3. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Ahhh....the old either you're born with it or not BS. While I would say it's definitely grounded in truth, I think 80% of people could learn musical instruments. It's just a question of how much you love music and willpower to practice.

I struggled with the afore mentioned subject for awhile. I even shed some tears. When I first started, yes, I could be off key and swear on the holy bible I was right on. But I practiced everyday and got better. :bassist:

4. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    And even if you can't recognize a note, there's nothing stopping you from being able to play by reading notation or whatever.

5. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I myself am terrible at that. I pretty much have to play by reading (and now I'm tryign to master sheet music cause tabs have poisoned me) Although my ear is getting better. before I could not do anything by ear, now I sort of learned Dog Boots (PX) I was off a little, and NIB and a few others. I think with poop loadsa of practice it can be learned.

6. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I agree, my ear's getting better all the time. I'm still a looong ways away from being able to name notes when I hear them, but there are some (especially patterns) that I'm beginning to be able to recognize.

Sure wish I hadn't quit so long ago.

7. I am what youd call tone deaf or whatever it is being described in that article , yet I went through high school band as either first or second chair in my section(Trumpet) all four years, I ve been playing piano for 13 years, guitar for 12, and bass for 10 and I have lots of confidence in my skills. So I dont think it matters what happens in your brain, if you want music bad enough nothings gonna stop you .

8. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    I can't do a cartwheel. I think we'll call it even.