1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Interesting Article

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Vorago, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I read this article this week in a magazine. I found it to be very interesting...Its translated from Dutch, so there might be some flaws in it...I'll give it a try..

(copyright Knack 2004)

Hope you find it interesting, and I hope the translation is a bit descent.

2. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Somebody'll probably come in and bitch in a few minutes about you reposting an article (as per the new forum rules).

That is interesting, though.

3. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Ahhh....the old either you're born with it or not BS. While I would say it's definitely grounded in truth, I think 80% of people could learn musical instruments. It's just a question of how much you love music and willpower to practice.

I struggled with the afore mentioned subject for awhile. I even shed some tears. When I first started, yes, I could be off key and swear on the holy bible I was right on. But I practiced everyday and got better. :bassist:

4. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    And even if you can't recognize a note, there's nothing stopping you from being able to play by reading notation or whatever.

5. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I myself am terrible at that. I pretty much have to play by reading (and now I'm tryign to master sheet music cause tabs have poisoned me) Although my ear is getting better. before I could not do anything by ear, now I sort of learned Dog Boots (PX) I was off a little, and NIB and a few others. I think with poop loadsa of practice it can be learned.

6. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I agree, my ear's getting better all the time. I'm still a looong ways away from being able to name notes when I hear them, but there are some (especially patterns) that I'm beginning to be able to recognize.

Sure wish I hadn't quit so long ago.

7. I am what youd call tone deaf or whatever it is being described in that article , yet I went through high school band as either first or second chair in my section(Trumpet) all four years, I ve been playing piano for 13 years, guitar for 12, and bass for 10 and I have lots of confidence in my skills. So I dont think it matters what happens in your brain, if you want music bad enough nothings gonna stop you .

8. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    I can't do a cartwheel. I think we'll call it even.