Interesting bar owners! (Long!)

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by jjk2007, Aug 20, 2013.

1. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    So we had one of our typical Saturday night gigs here in N Austin, but with a few twists thrown in. We played at a new bar here, first time for the full band. Our two guitarists did an audition of sorts on the previous Tuesday with good success, landing us the gig on Saturday. They set the whole thing up on the spot, time, money etc.

Saturday comes up and our drummer usually likes to set up really early, go home and relax and then come back later. He calls the bar and gets the green light to set up, arrives and starts loading in. He gets all his gear in and the owner shows up and asks him what he's doing there. Drummer replies, "I'm in the band you booked earlier this week". The response is "uuumm no." Drummer now calls guitar player.

Guitar player rushes over (lives very close to bar) to straighten things out. All the while, the bar had put in an add on CL for a band that same night and they are starting to roll in!! GP arrives and when the owner sees him, remembers his face and they talk about agreement etc. Owner proceeds to run CL band off, says sorry etc.

We get in and get set up, and the whole night we just keep having to turn down, and we weren't loud to begin with. Owner was worried about neighbors (understandably) but it was very quiet on that side as we were facing away from the houses. We actually had tons of people telling us to turn up but.....To top it off, the owner was standing in front of us with his iPhone app DB meter getting his "measurements" the whole night. Sheesh!

To finish it all off, he tried to short us on payment at the end of the night. All the while saying he's giving us an extra $20 for not getting the police called. What!!?? Anyhow, we got it squared away but not w/o some angry moments on the owners part.

The icing on the cake was this, we see him about 15 minutes later as we're about to leave and he starts talking how he'd like us to help him build a killer stage....something that we would love to play on, he wants to spare no expense and all sorts of stuff. Almost like the money thing didn't even happen!! We were just like, let's get outta here!! I'm not sure if the guy had issues, but it was odd for sure!! Anyhow that's it, it was just a strange chain of events. Thanks for the listen.

And post em if you got em.

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    He's probably got complaints, and maybe fines, in the past that have to do with this...

http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Texas/austin/title9prohibitedactivities/chapter9-2noiseandamplifiedsound?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:austin_tx

No excuse for the doublebooking or the pay thing thoigh. That stuff happens, I don't go back.

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    If the link doesn't work, just search "city of austin noise ordinance"

Live Music Capital of the World....my ass. :D

4. jjk2007

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Hey Will. Yeah, I'm new to Austin so I don't know all the legal stuff here yet. :)
    I think he had a band in the weekend before that jus blew the doors off the place sound wise. Cops came etc. Right now the "stage" is just a canopy on the deck but he wants like a full blown mini amphitheater so no sound travels towards the neighbors. It's a cool place with lots of room but we'll definitely do business different if we go back there!

5. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    If you're newer here, take my smartass comments with a grain of salt.

I like this town and I've made it my home.

I've just been here long enough to remember how things used to be and see how things have changed with all these california people comin' here and raising our rent. :)

When I moved here in the '90's, I was the new people screwing it up for the folks who liked the way it was in the '70's and '80's.

Don't let me discourage you, man. Austin is the greatest town there is to live in Texas. It just used to be even better, that's all. :D

6. jjk2007

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Well, count me in as one of those Cali peeps!! Moved here literally on Jan 1 of this year after living in So Cal for the last 15 years. And don't worry, my drummer has lived here forever and says the exact same stuff.

7. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Sounds like someone maybe partook of a wee bit too much of his own spirits?

I know we used to work for a guy who was all business early in the night but by closing time he usually had a good buzz on and would be talking nonstop about plans for the bar.

8. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I'm continually astounded by many club owners' lack of professionalism. If this guy were in any other business or industry, he'd be run out of Dodge in two days.

9. I'm an old fart been gigging here since the 70's and your story is a prime example why I play so few gigs these days.

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    No kidding.

It's getting pretty crazy for me, man. I can't imagine what it must be like for you.

I lived on Rainey st. for almost 10 years, that's multi-million dollar property now.

I do some side work for a nice lady that has a little rental property here. One of them is a typical upstairs/downstairs 2 bedroom duplex like you used to be able to get in south austin for $700 all day long. We leased it to somebody last week for $1400.

I'm probably going to end up moving to Wimberly. I love that little town, man. It's beautiful out there, just wish it was a little closer. If Wimberly was where Dripping Springs is, I would've been living there for a long time already.

11. Sounds very normal to me. I've only been gigging a few years and it seems most owners and GMs always want to short-change bands on the dough, yet have big plans for a stage, sound system ("What do you need? What should we get?" We need to be paid and you need to hire a sound consultant).

Fairytales about hiring you back, crazy reactions to sound complaints that are more due to patron revelling & bellowing than band sound; plenty of unrealistic expectations and other crazy suggestions, demands and epithets...

"We'll put your band logo on our posters/banners for a wine festival and in exchange you'll be allowed to busk in front of our establishment" ... and our stupid guitarist agreed to it without discussing it with the rest of us first. Couldn't see the band logo unless you took a magnifying glass to the posters/banners... :rollno:
    PS: We wound up being on a stage, so nobody knew we were "Busking", so we didn't get "paid".

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021