1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Interesting bass....any opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by capnjim, Aug 18, 2017.

1. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
  2. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Looks to be a Hoyer Model 64 (I). As a rule Hoyer instruments were well made. They used quality materials and components and they were made in Germany in a village very close to Bubenreuth where Hofner, Framus, Pyramid and Klira were all made.

TD

3. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    I've owned several 70s and 80s Hoyers - both guitars and basses - and every single one of them was a high quality instrument. Never touched any of their 60s stuff, though.

Two observations from afar:

1) Given the position of the bridge, I'd venture a *guess* that the bass does have a center block which would be preferable in certain respects. I would question the ability of the aforementioned bridge to provide 100% accurate intonation, though.

2) Pickup location itself will likely prevent the bass from having anything but the deep, thumpy 60s sound. If this is what you're looking for, it should do just fine.

Personally, I'd check it out, make sure that the action is acceptable and that the truss rod works. Presuming that everything is in good shape, the asking price sounds OK to me.

Your money, your call.

4. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    Its hard to tell the age, it seems like every Hoyer bass I see, has a different logo.

5. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    IMO, if it's located close enough to you, it's worth taking a ride and checking it out. It's unusual enough and definitely holds some potential.

Of course, you are the judge and jury on what "close enough" means in this particular case.