Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Interesting bass on ebay...opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by mattwells, Apr 5, 2003.

1. mattwells

mattwells

Mar 19, 2003
    GA
    This bass on e-bay peaked my interest: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2521253685&category=16222

Now I am only a DB newbie and am buying my first bass, but this sounds like an intruiging bass to me, but I can get very little definite from the seller: "The stamp inside says Germany and it was old when my friend got it 55 years ago" was all he said when I asked about its age. It is beat up, but so are alot of basses I see (my teachers for example)...I guess when you get older basses they are like that. The seller did not tell me anything about the maker, so I asked again, we will have to wait and see.

Thoughts/pontifications about this bass?

2. tsolo

tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    Some things you can buy over the internet without a worry: new hard drives, cdroms, stereo equipment, maybe an amp. Musical instruments are another story entirely. I won't buy again unless I can either touch it, or have the opinion of someone I trust touch it or be able to send it back after some time period for a full refund. I'd buy one from (All hail) Bob G. just on the recommendation of the guys from this forum - although I don't know why I trust 'em, I do.

Caveat Emptor.

3. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    MAXIMUMSWELLS -

If you feel comfortable about buying a bass over the internet, then you ought to feel comfortable buying a wife and/or significant other, lifetime partner (pending on your current predilection) over the internet.

Don't let your compulsions get in the way of common sense. IMHO too many players buy, particularly a first bass, without a good sense of what they really want.

Take your time, be patient!