Interesting bass on ebay...opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by mattwells, Apr 5, 2003.

1. mattwells

Mar 19, 2003
    This bass on e-bay peaked my interest:

Now I am only a DB newbie and am buying my first bass, but this sounds like an intruiging bass to me, but I can get very little definite from the seller: "The stamp inside says Germany and it was old when my friend got it 55 years ago" was all he said when I asked about its age. It is beat up, but so are alot of basses I see (my teachers for example)...I guess when you get older basses they are like that. The seller did not tell me anything about the maker, so I asked again, we will have to wait and see.

Thoughts/pontifications about this bass?
  2. tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    Some things you can buy over the internet without a worry: new hard drives, cdroms, stereo equipment, maybe an amp. Musical instruments are another story entirely. I won't buy again unless I can either touch it, or have the opinion of someone I trust touch it or be able to send it back after some time period for a full refund. I'd buy one from (All hail) Bob G. just on the recommendation of the guys from this forum - although I don't know why I trust 'em, I do.

Caveat Emptor.
  3. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN

If you feel comfortable about buying a bass over the internet, then you ought to feel comfortable buying a wife and/or significant other, lifetime partner (pending on your current predilection) over the internet.

Don't let your compulsions get in the way of common sense. IMHO too many players buy, particularly a first bass, without a good sense of what they really want.

Take your time, be patient!