1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Interesting bass on ebay...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SRT80, Feb 21, 2008.

1. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    I just looked at the same thing.... guy doesn't live to far from me

2. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Not an SX.

This guy (I have no affiliation with him or his business) sells Signature parts. Apparently, Signature was shut down by Fender after they duplicated the Fender neck pocket dimensions a bit too closely (their early pockets were 3/4" deep compared to Fender's 5/8". When they went to 5/8", it was all over for them. That's the impression I get from the description). I'd been wondering the same thing about that maker a few months ago, but after looking at the images a bit more closely, they seem to be quality components. A bit pricey if you're looking for headstock appeal, but they do feature 70s spacing on some of the bodies and thru-body stringing on all of them, I think.

3. cool...

headstock looks like SX to me though...

122c_1.

0dfa_1.

my sx neck...
    sxheadstock.

My neck is actually the same light color as the sig neck, it's just I had to turn flash off cause I was gettin' a bad glare. Here's a better shot that shows the true color of same neck...

newbasssx1.

I had a SX rosewood neck once also...
    sxbassneck1.

But that's cool, didn't know if I might have caught somethin'... :meh:

Steve

4. and I wasn't accusing anyone of anything. It's just....they look like SX necks to me. That would suck to pay $200 for a $60 neck w/custom logo...

Steve

5. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
  6. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    They're most likely built in the same factory, like Auriaprottu said in his original post.

Personally, I could never get my head around those Signature basses. Like you guys, when I look at one, I basically see an SX - with a much higher price tag! Why pay $600 for one when you can order pretty much the same thing from Kurt @ Rondo for $150?

Unless I'm missing something...

7. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Why does it say J bass on the headstock as the bass is a P? Kinda dumb if you ask me.

If it really is a Signature guitar, they used to be big bucks. Alex lifeson played them for a while (aroung the time of Power Windows, I believe).

8. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Because it's a J neck on a P body.

9. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
  10. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    I finished this build last weekend and it cost me $720, although I've got an Xtender on mine. On the face of things the price being asked is not too bad price for someone not wanting to do the assembly themselves.

DSC_3186.
    [​IMG]

11. this is completely off topic but that is a beautiful j bass you have there. What is it and how much was it?

12. RED5

RED5

Jan 14, 2008
    Suffolk County,NY
    .......no buzz unless you are in the basement of some eastern european home built in the 1600's...............

Something we need to know about here?........What's going on in them eastern european basements from the seventeenth century??

13. thanks. heres the scoop on the j bass...

Jazz Bass - SX Blue Quilt - $139.99
    Maple Neck - SX - $59.99
    Pearloid Knobs - 3@ $3.99
    Badass II bridge (not pictured) - $56.00
    (check ebay, you can get brand new BadassII bridges for $56 shipped!)
    Sold Stock SX neck and kept tuners - $28 after shipping

So, I have around $250 in this bass so far counting shipping...

Steve

14. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    I own one of these... no they are not made in China as far as I can tell. I've talked to Goerdt a few times on the phone. He seems legit. Had a saddle malfunction and he mailed me a new one. The build Quality is like Fender Mexico on a good day.

The pickups are awesome in these things. The finishes are brittle, as they are old.. like 20 years old.

15. noneedlessnoise

noneedlessnoise

Mar 25, 2008
    eh, it's probably an SX

16. Would be nice if there were some better picture of the neck's grain. I doubt SX makes quarter sawn necks.

17. ubado

ubado

Mar 7, 2007
    FL
    +1

I believe these are not SX necks... the only strange thing is, Signature (started by Rush's Alex Lifeson) was a Canadian company... it seems a bit odd that their necks/bodies were made in Cranston RI. USA. (but maybe that was just to get into the USA market and go against Fender and Guild... especially in the years that Guild's were one of the top selling guitars and basses... made not too far away in RI).

18. dakpluto

dakpluto

Oct 14, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    SRT80....almost worth the 200 just to get the Block Rosewood neck. Kurt hasn't had any available for a while now /cry

19. MrMe

MrMe

Aug 26, 2007
    Oslo, Norway
    The headstock looks exactly like a SX....