Interesting bridge setup

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gingerfish, Jun 9, 2005.

1. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Ick, someone forgot to wear their glasses when adjusting that brigde. Either that, or they were completely stoned ;)
  2. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    You know what's funny, I recently bought a bass from a guy that had the strangest set-up that I've ever seen. Normally, the bridge is adjusted so that each string follows the curvature of fingerboard. Well, this bass I received was set up in the exact reverse of the fretboard radius, ie the B and G were set much higher than the E, A, and D strings. I wish I took a picture of it because it was the most bizarre looking thing that I've ever seen because the curvatures were set exactly opposite of each other. The string settings went from 8/64 on the B, 5/64 on the E, and get this 3-4/64 on the A, and D strings, and back up to 8/64 on the G. The bass was barely playable in that set-up! I sent an email to the original owner to give him some grief, and jokingly accused him of being stoned when he set the bass up, and he replied that he bought the bass the way it was from the music store. If that's not scarey service from a shop, I don't know what is, and it was from a fairly well known shop (not GC or any large company like that)!
  3. Now, you want to try a fun experiment? Put your hand over the bridge saddles so just the strings show. That isn't such a bad setup for the strings themselves :)

But I'm still trying to figger out exactly why they would do it in the first place or not fix it if they didn't mean to. :confused:
  4. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    maybe he lets the E ride " side saddle" garnering an Eb possibly ?