1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Interesting change in direction and question!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Depth_Charge, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Can someone give me a quick run down on playing "off the beat" please?

I've been getting the funk into my (listening) and read up on some theory but it confused me.

And I'm curious, if I saw a teacher and said "teach me music, I play bass" when would "off the beat" come up in your experience?

2. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    I'd say it's when you don't play on the beat... (duh.. :bag: )

Think of a normal (e.g. techno) beat ( ||: 1-and-2-and-3-and-4-and-:|| ) when the bass drum play on the beats and you play on every "and".

This is a weak explanation on how I understand it, but I've never heard any definition of it so please correct me if I'm wrong on this one... :)

3. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Yeah you could also count like this.

1 e and uh 2 e and uh 3 e and uh 4 e and uh BOOM!!!!

play around with the e and uh parts and slam the 1 hard occasionally that's pretty funky. But a lot of it is getting the feel down. Practice this with a metronome.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021