1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Interesting CL Bass in PDX:

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dom Phenom, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Dom Phenom

Dom Phenom

Apr 24, 2008
  2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yeah, I emailed him about that, he's just a couple blocks away from me. I can't really justify buying it for myself right now, but if anyone else wants me to check it out for them I'm happy to.

3. Oh, no! It's a P Bass! Hold me back!

:)

Is that silver, or white? I'm guessing white.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

That's not from the 60's. Mid to late 70's, made in the Matsumoku factory. I have one in natural. Got mine for $59 a couple of years ago! I'll bet he wants a lot more for that one.

Electra1.

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Not really, he's asking $120 and he didn't seem too opposed to negotiating in the email he sent me.

6. embellisher

It's well worth that, if the neck is good. I have seen a guy trying to sell one just like mine on Ebay, but his starting price is always $450. If he started at $300, it would probably sell. If he ever gets $450, mine will be for sale the next day!:smug:

7. I wonder if these are like the Hondo IIs in that the natural ones are solid wood and the painted ones are plywood? embellisher, how are the tuners on yours? Decent?

8. embellisher

I could be wrong, but I don't think Matsumoku used plywood, at least not from the 70's on. My tuners are standard open back cloverleafs, look like Fenders from the same period. They are solid enough. Hold the bass in tune and turn pretty easily

I had a Matsumoku Electra-Westone that was from the early 80's which I sanded down because I wanted a natural wood bass.:rolleyes: Hey, I was 17!:D It was made of some very plain whitish wood, three pieces, IIRC. Not plywood. So I know they weren't using plywood then.

9. I took apart a black Hondo from the 70s and it was most definitely plywood. I would have bought it still, but the guy was asking too much for a plywood bass in my opinion. Had it been a three piece body or something similar I would have picked it up.

10. embellisher

I don't think Hondos were made by Matsumoku, were they?