1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Interesting coincidence

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by scorpionldr, Sep 14, 2008.

1. So a while back, after the semester began, I decided to come to my sax prof to talk about seeing if he knew a good repertoire of material to play, as since I'm graduating with a general music degree in January (with no hiccups hopefully), I wanted to start seeing about playing on a cruise ship as I "find myself".

To my surprise, he basically said something along the lines of "you have a better chance dead than you have making it on sax in the business world." and went further on to tell me "you play a lot of electric bass it seems, there's tons of work for you in that. I've been making the majority of my money in playing keys. You should really work on that."
    Funny, as I put down my bass getting discouraged with current progress and all with bands for a while, my prof is actually the one to tell me to pick it back up. And I was planning on learning some REAL skills on keyboard taboot! ha, things are always surprising me.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    A saxophone is a pretty niche market instrument. But how often do you hear bass in music? Western music is heavily reliant on the bass, whether it be a bass guitar or keys filling the role. So, get that bass back out, and just start practicing, learning loads of theory and get into some session work.

3. ha, i learned theory....but it's just throwing spaghetti at a non-stick wall for me. i just gotta be good. fast. everything i stopped playing bass for because I wasnt.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Just gotta push through that wall. I've hit it many times and battled with it. I'm kind of getting there with my guitar.

5. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    A while ago I had a chat with a professional sax player I know. He works a lot on theaters/TV, do some touring with a couple of national acts once in a while, but when it comes to regular weekend gigging on weddings etc, he is hardly ever invited to play on them. Sax is often considered an unnecessary "luxury" instrument, meaning the bands only need to charge more to have him play. Much extra cost for just a little extra you can live without... :meh:

So from a gigging perspective, being a sax player is definitely a different story than being a bass player....