1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Interesting Column about McNabb and Vick

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Nov 21, 2010.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    How can someone not like McNabb?

-Mike

2. I don't like his hairline

3. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    Eagles fans have never liked the man. They even booed when he got drafted. :meh:

Guy's a class act though. Its always nice to see something like this, even if Donovan was the reason we got beat on Sunday.

4. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    For real. I've even come around on Vick too.

5. Philadelphia fans have a history of being... well crazy. I saw the Phillies in the world series 2 years ago and their fans would boo a guy if he hit .900 because he could've hit 1.000

6. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Just more proof of what a classless organization the Eagles are & have always been. I can't call myself a McMahon fan, but as a Giants fan, I certainly respect what he's done. The way he was treated by the Iggles is shameful at best.

7. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Philly fans get a bad rap on lots of things, including their alleged dislike of Donovan McNabb. And, if you listen to some of the nut jobs on Philly sports talk radio, you could easily get this impression.

But, during his tenure here, you saw more McNabb jerseys around this city that those of any other athlete. He was, in fact, extremely popular. McNabb could be infuriating, inconsistent, and enigmatic, but serious football fans understood the magnitude of his accomplishments. And he was definitely a class act.

That's why, when the Redskins played in Philly this year, McNabb received a lengthy standing ovation. But was that covered in the national media? Of course not, because it doesn't fit with the negative stereotype of Philly fans, which is always a good story. (And is, at times, well deserved! :bassist:)

I've thought many times about the irony of Vick's success following Donovan's role in bringing him to the Eagles. It's an interesting dimension to the story.

I think Donovan identified with Vick early on, because he also disliked being stereotyped as a "running" quarterback who couldn't function effectively in the pocket. He even stuck up for Vick on that point in a press conference after the Eagles beat Vick and the Falcons. Someone asked Donovan about Vick's seemingly narrow range of capabilities. Donovan said it didn't matter, because "he wins." He sure does.