Interesting Comments from The Roots' "Hub" in latest BP

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DigMe, Jun 16, 2003.

1. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I was hanging out on my throne and I had already read the interviews with Bob Rock and Rocco Prestia in the recent Bass Player magazine so I read the interview with "Hub" from The Roots. He's a good bassist from what I've seen but he's got some, uh, interesting comments in this interview:

Eh?! Has the man not heard of Stanley Clarke??

Also, when questioned about his solo during The Roots' concerts he says: what point do you declare yourself "a virtuoso?" A little humility goes a long way, Hub.

Guy's a great bassist, that's for sure. I just found these comments to be a bit narrow and ignorant sounding and I was surprised to hear them.

brad cook
  2. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    As a 7 string player, I am quite offended by this ignoramus' remarks. Bass Player will be receiving a letter from me.
  3. istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    I agree with him in regards to playing in a group. There is no need to play anything above a 5'er if your playing with a guitar or keyboard in my opinion. Not to say that a 6 or more stringed "instrument" (don't really like to call it a bass for some reason), is not a quality instrument on it's own in the hands of someone who can rock it, but I just don't see it fitting in a band setting either. As for calling himself a virtuoso, thats pretty unessesary, even though he is a tight bassist, and probably can get down pretty sick.
  4. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Well, I suppose everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even if it is narrow minded.

BTW Eric, I think that would be a good way to get your opinion out on BP.
  5. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I have no beef with BP at all. They do a pretty good job with the mag, a hell of a lot better than if I were running it. I guess I just don't understand how they can get someone that rips on people because of what instrument they play and put him on the cover. To me, "Hub" is no better than these guitarists that came to trash our forum the other day.

I play 7 string in a group setting. It comes in useful when our guitarist takes a solo, so I can fill it up behind/under him.
  6. Maybe this huy should have a listen to Anthony Jackson, or John Patitucci to straighten him up...maybe he'll end up learning something.
    I'm not familiar with his groups music, and these comments by him certainly don't go too far to help change that.
    You get a little tired of the stupid guitar-like comments made about 6-string +plussers.
  7. Hub must not have seen people like Alain Caron, Bill Dickens or the like play bass in a group setting. His views seem a bit narrow.

OK, now for my narrow view - who is Hub and who are the Roots?:D :confused:
  8. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    The audience doesn't know that I'm a virtuoso - that I can play things they've never seen before.

I saw The Roots 2 nights ago. His bass solo was actually pretty week. He was a decent player, I do respect him, but the solo was not inpressive. He just ghost slaped for like 30 seconds and playted some dub sounding lines.
  9. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Although I disagree with his comments, I have to admit it, he IS a virtuoso. You guys only know him inside of the Roots. He's actually an older cat.
  10. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    There's no brick wall around the bass player's role in a band. Root-five, chords, solos, percussive sounds, the bass can do it all if it suits the music. If the bass player needs to play a "triple-high F" in a song, so be it. I don't care if someone suddenly wants to call that guitar playing. Might as well call slapping drumming then. And fretless playing could be called singing. :p
  11. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    I totally disagree. I don't think you'd feel that way if you didn't play an extended range bass, maybe you would, but to compare him to the idiots that come and bash the site, c'mon man. You guys are taking this WAY too personal. I don't have a personal problem with what these guys think and say. Like the guy from Monster Magnet calls 5 string basses "showoff bullsh*t", or JD Pinkus who proclaims that, "if you need more than 4 strings, you shouldn't be playing bass!" :rolleyes: If you guys played only 4 strings, I don't think you'd have a problem with those comments, but since they speak of your ilk (6+ players), you guys tend to take it personal. Why? :confused: I also thought was it funny that someone here listed AJ as an example, one of the most pompous asses in bassdom, but since he's one of you (6+'ers, I'm a 5'er BTW) his comments and attitude are accepted. I don't get it. These guys don't effect your life one bit, neither should their comments. BTW, can someone here give a hand with putting away this soapbox? It's kinda heavy!
  12. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Whoa there! Don't make the mistake of assuming four-string players are more narrow-minded than multi-string players. I think they can well be just as offended by the "showoff bullsh*t" comments.
  13. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    True. I once met a 6 stringer who criticized me for playing "only a 5, because I was afraid of musical growth". :rolleyes:
  14. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Did you even read the rest of the article? He seems to be a very well rounded player, has been gigging since he was about 10 years old, has played classical music for years, etc.
  15. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Comments like the ones above makes me stop reading. If he thinks he's cool or something he's sadly mistaken.

I have absolutely zero tolerance for intolerant or rude people...
  16. ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    Comments like that usually come from players with lots of technique and zero musicality.They equate musical growth with how fast you can slap'n'tap the latest bass god's published tabs in Bassplayer.They don't read,can't play a blues and think a dominant chord is some kind of weird fetish.;)

The comments from the roots guy are just silly,being that it's from BP though I would'nt be suprised if he was misquoted.:rolleyes:
  17. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I don't think that it's a case of zero musicality, but rather of zero personality.

Statements like that have most likely emotional reasons, e.g. arrogance, envy, fear, insecurity etc.
  18. theydolph

theydolph Guest

Oct 26, 2002
    I have read that article and I'm a little surprised at how offended everyone seems to be getting. First of all does it really matter that Hub doesn't like five and six stringers, is anyone gonna stop playing theirs just because he said that, no, so let it go. As far as him calling himself a virtuoso I think his point was that most people just see him as a minor player, playing sparse basslines that serve the music, when in fact he is something of a virtuoso, maybe that was kind of arrogant but again let it go.
  19. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I'm not the least offended. I just lost any respect and interest I may have had in him and his music. Which is his loss as a record selling artist, not mine. There are zillions of records out there, I'll just find some nice people to listen to. Well-known concept in the U.S. I think, "vote with your pocket book" or something. :)