1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Interesting Czech bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Carl Johnson, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Buogon

Buogon

Feb 2, 2009
    New Jersey
    It may be legit , the bass is cool, times are tough now people have to sell things to pay bills, this is a good deal if the bass is in good condition

2. Carl, I much more enjoyed your "Czech this out" pun than looking at this thing.
    A quick look at the F holes ( a very old but not so uncommon pattern) makes me suspicious. They don't spell "carved" to me. More like "sawn". The straight lines just look like the maker couldn't get the saw to cooperate in terms of a flowing cut. :eek:
    I would think whomever did the cleat work on the back table could force at least on or two more more in there.:rolleyes: I don't blame him/her....not much surface left for that.:rollno: The hat-peg machines do look very old and cool though. A better shot of the scroll might tell us another tale, as well.
    IMHO.

3. LeslieD

LeslieD

Jul 25, 2006
    Pennsylvania
    Look at the detail of the body: through the f-holes you can see that the inside of the bass isn't as dark as you would expect. I realize the photo was taken with a bright flash, but I see what looks like newer pieces of wood bracing. The seller said the instrument was completely repaired...but the inside of the ribs aren't dark either.

4. Nathan Parker

Nathan Parker

Oct 10, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    But it has super tune. It must be good.

5. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    200 bucks to ship a DB next day air from Praha to US.
    Zero seller feedback.

Where do I sign up? :hyper:

6. I dig the scroll, very funky, never quite seen anything like it. I have to agree that it appears to be a very clever fake though. The body is too straight and lacking the types of distress seen in old basses; bow nicks, sound post and bassbar cracks. The back seems too even for a bass that required that many cleats. How about that two peg bottom.

Would have been nice if they'd taken more care of the d'armour holes.