Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

interesting developments - apple may buy universal records

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by john turner, Apr 11, 2003.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Why? All big businesses diversify. Apple was in trouble with Gil at the helm, Jobs came back, refocused the company and made it strong again and since, has been spreading it out.

Jobs has always been a music fan and has a strong idea of the music industry's future in computers, this makes sense to me.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Who makes the world's most popular digital music device...hmm...oh yeah Apple(iPod)

Seems like a good idea to me, only issue, Apple doesn't necessarily HAVE 6 billion dollars to buy a company with, and though they can still do it, they will be putting A LOT of faith in a questionable project.

Since apple has all the cards(they own their computers/os/software/
    iPod) they would be able to offer unbeatable combo packages incorperating a new digital music service.

I think it's pretty cool, but I'm a mac-lot so I guess my view is instantly biased :rolleyes:

4. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I didn't see that coming. Wow.

5. SHAREHOLDER VALUE DESTRUCTION ALERT

SHAREHOLDER VALUE DESTRUCTION ALERT

SELL APPLE NOW

There are a million and one reasons that getting into the music business is a bad idea. Content creation is generally considered a "****ty business" among the institutional investment community (yes, that's a technical term).

6. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

A couple of observations come to mind.

Vivendi's fortunes under Fortou have not met investors expectations, F raises cash, or he and his
    juicy compensation package are history.

For Jobs, it's ego. Nice to have access to that kind of cash, but they have to keep it moving to keep
    investors interest.

{{ Timecapsule }} We listen in on a fabled conversation between two famous writers ...

F. Scott, ' The rich REALLY ARE different ...
    Ernest H. ' Yeah, they have money. '
    {{ end Timecapsule }}

I view this with the same kind of skepticism that I viewed the announcement by Clearchannel that they were ' severing all ties ' with independent record promoters, they wanted no perception of ' pay for play here' [ NY Times, 4/09 or 10 ] They only own 4 stations in this market. Not too homogeneous.

Speaking of homo genius, I imagine that Jobs would love to be in a position to decide who gets signed, what gets promoted, and what you will listen to. Unfortunately, I know he'll never ask my opinion.
    ----------------------
    FREE BUDDY! [ ex mayor of Providence ]
    Finding my own wavelength ....

7. Boss Bass

Boss Bass

Apr 9, 2003
    Third Rock
    Never asked Apple or Vivendi for support during my career. Hope none of us are ever forced into doing so...

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Ummmm....ya' know why stock prices rarely go up and maintain higher growth levels following mergers? Because they're rarely good ideas, except on paper. That's not where it counts.

9. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    no, it's not that, i just can't decide whether this would be really really good for universal or really really bad for apple.

on the one hand, apple's got a really shaky hold on the market, but on the other hand, if there's any company that could take the entertainment industry to new cool highs, it would be apple.

so, like i said, i don't know what i think about this. it could kill apple, or it could really revolutionize the industry.

10. either way, we all just get a box of popcorn and watch it all go up, or down.

11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hm, after purchasing Emagic, it almost makes sense...

12. Vertical integration sure worked well for American carmakers in the '70s and Korean conglomerates in the mid-'90s, that's for sure.

:rolleyes:

13. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    ooo, some smug-enomics dogma, eh? :D

14. I just don't think it makes sense for a computer company to be buying into the music industry--their dynamics are very different and their cultures probably won't mesh very well. (In this particular case, the music company will actually be more starched-shirt than the computer company!)

15. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Does this mean I'm going to need some $5000 CD player to play CDs that come from that label now? :D

16. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I know this is off topic ,but Universal used to own where i work then we got bought by Vivendi and then a deal fell through trying to sell us to another company and then we got sold again to some hardware super thing. I work for Spencer Gifts [yeah, i'm the bottom of the totem pole sales associate]. I don't really know what will happen if Apple buys a music label. Thats all

17. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Will that mean they will make their CDs compatible with only 8% of all CD players?

18. Not cheap enough. The Shareholder Value Destruction Alert is still in place.

19. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    This Apple, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find any company less starched-shirted than Apple. To be honest I don't know where something like this may go. If Apple does get the online music service thing right then they may do well. That of course, is a big "if" to gamble on.