Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Interesting dilemma with Nordstrand NJ4SE pickup in my bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Beefbass, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I have a 1999 MIM Pbass deluxe. It has the P body, jazz neck, P/J setup, gold pickguard.

Anyway, two nights ago, I was playing my bass. I was using the P pickup, and decided to blend in the J pickup. After a minute or so, I realize it's having no effect on the sound. So I turn off the P pickup, try to solo the J. Nothing.

If I turned the volume on my amp all the way up, I could get some sound from the A string, and a little from the D. Otherwise, nothing.

I was thinking, "damn, this pickup can't be bad, it's only a year and a half old!" Besides, I don't hear much if ever, about pickups just going bad.

Next morning, I try a little experiment. I take out the small key that comes with my case. Turn on amp. Touch key to all pole pieces on P pickup. Good thump on every one.

Do this with the J. No sound, unless amp volume all the way up. So I try the P again-no problem there.

Turn on the J-all of a sudden, it starts working again! Turn down amp, turn up J volume. It was working.

Band practice last night-dead again, although I didn't have to turn the amp all the way up to hear anything.

I haven't heard from my guitar repair guy yet. So I just wanted to know-you guys have any suggestions? I'm thinking a wiring problem-that pickup must still be good.

Thanks for any help!

Tim

2. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    If you have two volumes it could be the volume pot is going bad, or has a loose connection on it.
    Also, I'd be remiss if I didn't say it could be the pickup. It is possible that there may be a short somewhere. If that's the case I'll send you a replacement ASAP.

Feel free to call me if you need more help.

3. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

Hey Carey, thank you very much for the reply!

The bass does have two volume pots. I pulled the knob off of it, and it looked like there was some green corrosion around the threads where the nut screws on. IME, cheaper foreign made basses don't have the best volume and control pots, but I guess they have to cut corners somewhere.

When the pickup came on, it sound great. Which is why I was skeptical of it being bad.

If it turns out to be the pickup, I will let you know. Thanks again Carey :hyper:

Tim

4. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I'm going to have it checked out tomorrow morning. Will post the results afterwards.

Apologies for posting in the wrong forum. Thanks to the mods for moving it to the correct location :)

5. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Had the bass checked out today, and unfrotunately, it is the pickup that went dead.

Since the P pickup works fine, the bass is still quite usable. No problem there.

I have emailed Carey, and will let ya' know how it turns out.

6. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Update;

Heard back from Carey. He responded quickly to my email about this situation.

He is sending a new one out Monday. Which means I'll be up and running on two pickups again next week.

Hey, things happen. Whats important is how these things get handled. Carey IMHO is extremely top notch! I bought these from Jay Lewis at Blueberry Hill bass in Feb.2004. You would think that after close to two years, I'd be on my own with this. I mean, nobody's gonna warranty something forever.

Despite that, Carey said no problem, I'll send you a new one ASAP! Hows that for standing behind your product? My 2002 MIM fretless had the bridge A string saddle strip out after a month of use. The authorized dealer I bought it from couldn't have cared less-said to put nail polish on it, thats the way those bridges are.

Well, the bottom line is; Carey Nordstrand won me over for life. I couldn't see myself using anything else from now on(pickup wise) Maybe one day, I'll be able to save, and get a great Nordstrand bass! :hyper:

Sorry for being winded-it's just that I had a great experince in light of the situation at hand, and wanted to share it.

7. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    The new pickup arrived in the mail today! About another week, It'll be up and running as a P/J bass again.

Thanks Carey :hyper: