Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Interesting discovery?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Nomadic Herder, Apr 26, 2002.

1. I was sitting yesterday. I have been wondering how I could be better at riff/solo writing. And for some reason I began singing what came into my head. I picked a key and matched all the different pitch changes according to what I was singing. And I was actually able to come up with a bit of something on the spot. Wow.

I believe it was...Ed Fuqua, maybe that has suggested that many times? Well I finally tried it, and it works. :)

2. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    yeah. I was at a jazz gig a few weeks ago and the bassists would sing his solos out loud. Just as loud as his basslines... So I started to imitate that and found soloing much easier...

3. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Cool-aroonie. Next time, another trick is, imagine how a trombone player would play -- then play that.

There's no limit to the number of places you can turn to for inspiration. Singing is a fine one.