Interesting drag racing vid

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by labgnat, Oct 23, 2006.

1. labgnat

labgnat Inactive

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
  2. That was pretty cool. Have to have some pretty serious power to do that to those tires.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Sweet! We've got some high speed filming equipment at work, and it's just fun to watch whatever they've recorded. Even boring stuff because interesting when you can see what's going on in real slow motion.

For more fun stuff, here's a popular screen saver/movie that I saw on Youtube the other night. Ever wonder how a complete engine is put together?

4. threshar

threshar

Jul 30, 2002
    If you get a chance, go to a drag race to see some top fuel (aka nitro) dragsters. The power is just unbelievable. Seeing a vehicle go from 0 to 300 in 4 seconds in 1/4 mile is just incredible. You feel the power in the stands. The beasts typically have 8000+ HP. They go from 0-60 nearly instantly. (A ferrari only does it in 3.6 seconds). I love how the tires triple in height. oh man. I didn't make it to the drags this year. my summer was zany busy.

They are especially cool at night, as the exhaust is actually still burning when dumped out the pipes.

And don't get me started on jet cars..

or Les Shockley's jet truck with 3 jet engines. That thing was ridiculous.

5. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    That jet truck was the only thing I've ever seen that was more awe inspiring than the top fuel dragsters. Running a six second quarter mile in a car is one thing, doing it in a seven thousand pound truck just boggles the mind.

6. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    I can do that to my tires. Zoom in and look closely at the back tire and you'll see the sidewall is wrinkled up.

Attached Files:

7. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    How much torque/hp does your car have?

8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    600 horses at the wheels, and I'm not sure how much torque.

9. NamelessOne

NamelessOne

Mar 9, 2006
    Calgary, AB
    don't the top end dragsters use more than that just to drive the blower? and the top fuel rail cars have more downforce than weight at stand-still, because of the exhaust?

the problems with the cutting edge now include that people's retinas can detach from the accelleration...

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    My Uncle John.

[​IMG]

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021