1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Interesting" drum tracks to practice with

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by ole Jason, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Hopefully I can articulate what I'm looking for and why. I do the standard practice routine of using a click, iterating through where the 'click' falls in relation to the bar/beat. I understand how to practice... but I do like playing with backing tracks because it just feels more realistic and I feel like it is good practice to lock in when other things are going on.

The thing is with BIAB or Youtube backing tracks the drums are usually pretty square whereas a lot of drummers (especially the college kids :D) don't really play that way. I'd love to have some tracks to play with where the beat is getting obfuscated or even pushed/pulled around. Stuff that makes it a little more challenging to stay solid would be helpful for me I think. Any ideas?

This is all assuming I can't get with a drummer in real life to jam, that's the obvious answer :)

Old Garage-Bander and Bassbeater like this.
  2. www.wikiloops.com
    You can find live drum tracks and programmed drum tracks in song format with various accompaniment.

nbsipics, bobomatic, Oddly and 3 others like this.
  3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    :).... that's pretty freeking awesome :). Great tool for people to practice their bass writing skills. Never knew such a cool thing existed.

Thanks.

Bassbeater likes this.
  4. This is awesome. Thanks!

Bassbeater likes this.
  5. Steven Ayres

Steven Ayres Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2007
    Northern Arizona
    You'll also want to look for the old-school New Orleans second-lines.

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    The Aebersold recordings are mixed pretty hard right/left stereo, you can pan the bass track out and play along with the piano and drums. You can also play along with Bill Evans and Jim Hall on UNDERCURRENT and INTERPLAY, since it's just guitar and piano.

7. lurk

lurk

Dec 2, 2009
    I love the Drum Genius app.

8. lrhbass

lrhbass Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Dallas,Tx.
    Drum G... is very realistic.

chilensko likes this.
  9. JEBassman

JEBassman Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    Thank you for this cool site. Time to jam with those tracks!

Bassbeater likes this.
  10. JEBassman

Jun 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    Cool. Downloading it now :bassist:

11. Isn't saying "square" being square?:roflmao:
    Seriously though, you sound like a real hep cat man.:cool:

12. Thanks for your assessment bub.

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  13. Any time daddy-o! ;)

14. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    This is a really nice resource! I'm just spitballing, but thinking that combining favorite tracks from this into folders in the Amazing Slow Downer app could be really useful since it has a really nice engine for altering tempos in either direction without much in the way of artifacts.

15. Acoustic356

Acoustic356 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    I live the SDrum for live and practice application.

16. Very cool stuff. Thanks for posting.

17. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Another 'thank you' here for that wikiloops link...that looks really useful.

18. JEBassman

Jun 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    How versatile is the SDrum, in terms of having a variety of styles? Is it preprogrammed patterns, or do you have to create your own beats?

19. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    Drum genius is pretty great. NOT a substitute for metronome practice, but, really great for getting certain less common time feels down.

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  20. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Funny Adam Nussbaum story - after playing with him a couple of weeks ago, I found myself practicing scrolling through DG grooves during a practice session, not really looking at anything other than the tempos. I settled on one that sounded way better than the rest. Of course when I looked more closely it was one of Adam's loops. I emailed him to tell him about it, and he said he had heard he was on the app but didn't know how the creators did it. He did a sort of email shrug and said "welcome to the digital age".

In addition to being an absolutely incredible drummer, he's also one of the funniest people I've ever met, and with a heart as big as Alaska. Kind of the "Kurt Vonnegut of the drums", if that makes any sense.

damonsmith likes this.