Interesting experience with a G&L L-2000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Feb 16, 2003.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I stopped up at a local store today to check out a G&L that I saw through the window one night after they were closed.

It's a trans blueburst L-2000 with exquisite natural binding and a rosewood board. The thing that scared me is that, despite the P neck width, I immediately connected with this bass in the same way as I did with my Sterling. Through a 300W 1x15 Laney combo, it had the voice of God. It just felt right.

Damn, GAS sucks. I can't afford a new bass right now - I'm still trying to sell our old house! I'm seriously thinking about selling off some stuff to get this G&L - maybe even my Ric! I know I'd regret selling it later, though.

I'm starting to feel like FunkyCarnivore - I'm developing a real thang for blue basses!
  2. I'll buy you Ric for $1 :)
  3. don't sell the bass!

heck, who needs a house?! :D
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    They do kick major ass. A little on the heavey side, but I can't think of a bad thing to say about them. That they are all custom made makes them such a good deal used. The preamp is a swiss army knife of a preamp, and the pups are HOT.

Thems got Mojo.
  5. gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    mmmmmmm, trans blueburst, nice

Whatever you do, don't try it through a Sansamp RBI with a couple of Bag End 15's, you'll never put it down.

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Y'mean like my rig at home? :D ;)

I have to say the Laney didn't sound bad - I don't know squat about them.
  7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

... and the good gear shows up. I was trying out a Lakland Bass for weight reasons ( my '79 Ibanez weighs a ton!) and the store guy plugs it in. I'm goin' hmmm nice tone, is it the bass? I look up and the tone is coming out of this used SWR SuperRedhead. Same price as the Lakland.

Suddenly the Ibanez doesn't seem so heavy, but the depth of the Super Redhead has me thinking...AMP?!!!!!
  8. gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    I'll post this here also Ken, I've always had a rosewood neck. I bought a maple neck on my G&L SB-2, and the band loved it, it really cuts throught the mix. Now my L-2000 has a rose wood neck, it also cuts through just as well, but the BASS, the bottom on this thing is unreal. Im using TI flats on the SB-2, and I had them on the L-2000 for a while, then I switched to the TI Powerbass strings. They made a BIG difference. They cut as good as the maple neck but the L-2000 has sssoooooo much more bottom. Hey, as you can tell im impressed with the L-2000, I can't think of a better sounding bass right now, well maybe a rick., but thats not what you want to hear. Play it again for a while, it might be your next no.1, its mine.

9. All I have to say is buy it !! I have a total of three G&L's, love them all. Band loves them too, first practice with one they all took notice when we started to play. Buy Buy Buy !
  10. Dude, you played the exact same G&L as the first G&L L2000 that I played...and have only been playing bass for half a year at that point (that was about 4 1/2 years ago), I was awestruck...COULD THAT BE THE DRIVING FORCE FOR MY GAS??? being "scarred for life" by good tone from the start...?
  11. It's funny, I ran into my first one by accident, bought on Ebay when I had severe GAS, bought based on some reviews I read as well as the wood the bass had.

G&L is my #1 and my Fenders are my backups.
  12. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Does anybody else get lost staring at their G&L's finish?:)

They must use several layers of clearcoat to get those babies to shine the way they do!

They don't sound bad either. . .:p
  13. Yes, I do !!

All three that I have are finishes that you can see the wood, it would be a shame to paint !!
  14. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    My G&L finish is a little worn, but the mahogany under it is great and all the dings and such add mojo (its a 1982 with the front load controls and tobacco-burst over mahogany - 11.5 pounds but worth it).

I Love G&L basses. This bass will stay with me forever.

G&L's have monster tone, you should be happy if you get it.

15. mogator

Aug 12, 2002
    Just curious. Flynn Guitars in Evanston had a nice selection, decent prices too. The used market had been kinda soft, some good deals on ebay if you're patient. Love my L-2000, had it for 18 years now. Love my 2500 too.